CureZone   Log On   Join
Image Embedded Tomatoes

plzchuckle Views: 5,532
Published: 11 y

This is a reply to # 2,127,017

Tomatoes

Tomatoes are technically a fruit and are a rich source of vitamin A and C (one medium tomato provides 40% of the RDA for Vitamin C and 20% of vitamin A), and are a good source of calcium, phosphorous, and potassium. Studies of tomatoes and tomato products show that the more people eat, the lower their risk of cancer. Lycopene, a carotenoid and powerful antioxidant, fighting free radicals, is the chemical that makes tomatoes red. The benefit has been found to be the strongest for cancers of the prostate, lung, and stomach. Tomatoes can also lower the risk of heart disease and macular degeneration.

Native to Mexico and Central America, tomatoes were cultivated by the Aztecs and Incas dating back to 700 AD. In Mexico it is a perennial and in temperate climates it is grown as an annual. Mexico has one of the oldest wild types growing. It was the 16th century conquistadors who introduced them to Spain, where their popularity spread quickly to Portugal and Italy. The French loved them and referred to them as “love apples.” In Germany they were revered as “apples of paradise.” The British rejected tomatoes because they believed them to be poisonous. The early New England colonists also carried this belief until 1812 when the Creoles of New Orleans happily showed them how tomatoes enhanced their gumbos and jambalayas.

Processed tomatoes, it is reported from the food industry contain more Lycopene than raw because the cell wall is broken down and the carotenoids are concentrated. When all of the water is cooked out of the tomato thus concentrating the nutrition, can it really be compared to raw tomatoes? The vitamin C is destroyed by heat and who knows what other nutrients that have not been identified. Watermelon is also very high in Lycopene and no one is advocating cooking Watermelon to get more Lycopene. Eating tomatoes with a small amount of fat helps the Lycopene to be absorbed better, and perhaps the small amount of fat in the seeds are enough. Choosing a good unheated fat is important. Using a food processor and blender to break the cells allowing the absorption of more Lycopene.

The tomato is a nightshade containing glycoalkaloids, which some people believe contributes to Arthritis symptoms (this has not been supported by research). I think that this problem occurs with cooked tomatoes. I eat tomatoes every day and do not have the arthritic pain that I had prior to being on a raw diet. I had pain eating cooked tomatoes in sauces and soups before we were mostly raw. This could relate to the metabolism of cooked food to an acidic form, which can lead to inflammation.

Tomatoes purchased from the supermarkets have been refrigerated, and will not keep as well as unrefrigerated. However, tomatoes fresh from the garden will keep well at room temperature for about a week, as will those organically grown from farmers’ markets.

We eat tomatoes in our daily salad and do not really have to have a recipe. In fact one of my favorite snack and fast foods are the cherry or grape tomatoes. Every time I teach these tomato recipes all say that are they are the best they have ever tasted. Three of my favorite tomato recipes are Tomato Salsa, Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing, and Marinara Sauce. All of these recipes have a 1- 2-week shelf life (if they last that long). I always keep these on hand. Hint: chopping an avocado and stirring in some salsa can make a quick guacamole. All three can be used as a salad dressing. And all three can be served over spiralized zucchini or eaten with chips.

***Jackie's recipes for tomatoes from this newsletter are posted in their appropriat threads in this group.

Jackie’s Vegetable and Fruit of the Month Club

Visit Jackie & Gideon Graff @: RawFoodRevival.com

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

1.219 sec, (3)