CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: peeling lips (off topic)

mook Views: 16,119
Published: 20 y

This is a reply to # 9,811

Re: peeling lips (off topic)

Some info :D

This is from the mayo clinic about Exfoliative cheilitis :

'The vermilion of the lips was conceptualized by Jean Darier as the semi-mucosa. The anatomy of the lips is transitional from skin to mucous membrane.'

'Exfoliative cheilitis is also a reactive process, probably secondary to factitious activity of the patient'

Definition of factitious:

1. not spontaneous or natural; artificial; contrived: factitious laughter; factitious enthusiasm.
2. made; manufactured: a decoration of factitious flowers and leaves

This is from the dermatology forum from a dermatologist:

Chapstick isn't addictive, but putting any moisturizer on lips tends to be habit-forming.

Lips are very psychologically-sensitive areas. Just thinking about them makes them feel dry.

Whenever a patient complains of dry lips, I have to force myself not to lick them while they're talking. For some reason, those who complain tend to be young adult women, though sometimes men do too.

The dryness is rarely part of some "disease." Instead, a person starts licking their lips

for no particular reason, then moisturizes, and then the cycle continues indefinitely, as saliva dries out the lips along with the act of thinking about it, and so on.

Otherwise, don't think about it too much.

Best.

I think in my case the 'factitious activity of the patient' is definatly my problem. I too have been wondering if Gluten could be causeing the peeling, I dont really know what I would eat if it was because Gluten is in most of my diet :/

I recently went another boring three weeks of leaving my lips to peel on their own with no lip balms. I did everything normally from eating to brushing my teeth. The skin would peel off after about 4 days revealing new skin underneath. This happened over and over. The skin underneath did not change, it continued to look the same. There were no more layers of skin that I noticed on my lips and the peeling was constant and the same three weeks later. There was no less peeling from when I started, the peeling skin wasnt any thinner and the time in took for the peeling skin to come off did not change at all. I am now firmly convinced that the peeling is not some sort of healing process.

For me I think I have the type of lips (big mucous membrane) that need to be licked with slobber. This seems to be the only way of controling the peeling skin. I am going to try to stop thinking about my lips all day long and stop looking in the mirror a million times per day. Every time I do this I lick my lips unessecarily. If I stop the unessecaries maybe Ill find success :D In the mean time I put lip balm or shea butter(natural)on my lips at night.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.438 sec, (2)