CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Spectacularly Insightful - really?

Views: 18,073
Published: 18 years ago

This is a reply to # 796,436

Re: Spectacularly Insightful - really?

You are incorrect to assume that this child's behavioral issues were apparent to me before marrying my husband and moving in with him. Spending time with a child several nights every other week is different from actually living with her every minute she is here and being the one to discipline her when necessary. Disorders such as AD/HD, bipolar disorder, and other mental health issues often do not become strongly apparent until the child is a pre-adolescent.

Many bipolar parents have children who develop this mental/emotional health issue. Since bipolar disorder, and many other disorders, usually take several years to diagnose, we cannot know why she acts this way. There is no pattern, just a stubborn refusal to accept discipline and an overarching selfishness. At the mall both children received balloons. She let hers go accidentally. Out of spite, she tried to grab my son's balloon and let it go, only to be stopped by her father who saw what she was trying to do. I teach children her age and find this behavior to be inconsistent with normal child behavior, even if upset. "Being upset" is normal. Acting like an animal with no regard for others is not normal unless you are three years old.

Personally, I don't find posts spectacularly insightful if they contain sarcasm ("what are you doing picking her up from school ANYWAY?", "like most parents," sarcastic comments about how unrealistic it is to expect a child to do homework, etc.). I DID find some folks advice very helpful, though, and for that I am grateful.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.297 sec, (1)