CureZone   Log On   Join
Does Anyone Have Dentinogenesis Imperfecta?

asprag127 Views: 7,196
Published: 11 y

This is a reply to # 1,959,072

Does Anyone Have Dentinogenesis Imperfecta?

Thanks so much for sharing. I am at least a 5th generation victim of Dentinogeneis Imperfecta from WI. I refused to cap or veneer any of my teeth, because it just hasn't worked for any of my relatives. I compare it to a flat tire. You can only fix the tire so many times before it just doesn't work anymore. That is my personal philosophy on caps and veneers.

Like everyone else, this has been horrible. I was fortunate to get upper dentures when I as 20, but now that I'm in my late 30's the bone is deteriorating, and I need implants.

I'm also trying to deal with my lower teeth. The center front tooth broke two years ago and I had it removed. Now I have a gaping gap and grey teeth to deal with. I also have two caps in the back of my mouth. They both need to be extracted. I'm also experiencing a huge increase in cavities in the last year. I knew I was on "borrowed" time with these teeth, and now the time has come where I have to do something.

I've spent the last six months researching options in Mexico and southern CA. Some dentists refuse to remove the teeth, others want a "snap on smile," others want to pull a few teeth and place bridges in my lower ridge, another dentists wants to seal the teeth to prevent more ware, and most dentists want to cap the teeth. I've been in some pretty heated battles with some dentists that keep telling me my teeth are in great condition. Really?? Where did you go to school and what experience do you have with these teeth?

I've found several dentists that will extract my bottom teeth. I can get an All on Four ($27k) which is four implants with a fixed bridge, partial bridge that snaps on ($13k), or I can get six implants with a fixed denture ($8K). The Mexico dentist offered 8 implants with a bridge between each ($14k).

I haven't even begun the battle with insurance. I have pretty good insurance, but they will only cover the costs if it is medically required. My sister did have some success with her insurance company, but I think it really takes a creative dentist.

Fortunately, my children did not inherit my teeth. My niece wasn't as fortunate. Does anyone know of anyone that has inherited the teeth if their parents don't have it. I've been told that my children will never pass this gene on, is that true? Or is this just wishful thinking?

I am including a link to the best article I've read so far involving these teeth:

http://www.aapd.org/assets/1/25/Sapir-23-03.pdf

I'm on board if anyone wants to pursue this issue further.

Good luck and just keep telling yourself there is always someone worse off then us:)

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.109 sec, (2)