CureZone   Log On   Join
Householders!

janaki Views: 34,319
Published: 19 years ago

This is a reply to # 590,398

Householders!

Dear Kumar,

I have seen references in other books printed in India as to what sort of asana practice is appropriate for "householders" and I've also seen references to what is appropriate for women...not pregnant or menstruating women.....just women in general. I even read one book that said that "ladies" should refrain from practicing yoga asanas, but instead should take a "nice stroll in the evening".

As a woman I have to sift through this stuff and decide for myself, were these words coming out of more outdated notions about peoples roles in society. Traditionally women did not practice yoga asanas much in India because it involved moving the body about and perhaps drawing attention, and separating the legs etc. etc. However the scriptures say the first student of yoga was Parvati, and the first teacher Siva, her consort.

I mention this because I do believe you have to put this sort of statement in context. I believe, however that sirshasan being contraindicated for someone with an active sexual life probably comes out of ideas about prana and apana. When we engage sexually we move energy (apana) in a downward fashion with respect to the chakras. Sirshasan is the most potent asana due to how it draws the energy upward (prana).

I think you have to make up your own mind about how the practice feels for you and what works for you. My guru, Swami Sivananda always encouraged women to practice, and to my knowledge counselled householders to practice all asanas, including sirshasan. With your own practice, sensitivity to all these factors increases, and adaptations are constantly made. I do not practice the same way I did 10 years ago, or even one year ago.

I don't know if this is helpful.

Pranams,
Janaki

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  curezone.org

0.137 sec, (1)