CureZone   Log On   Join
Image Embedded Breathing and muscle-memory

Views: 4,301
Published: 9 years ago

This is a reply to # 2,241,398

Breathing and muscle-memory

Just a little clarification on breathing and the "feeling" of suffocating while holding one's breath.

There are several techniques to assist with "holding" an inspiration (breathing in).  The first one is to say, in my mind, "I am in control of my breathing," over and over, again, and COUNT inside my head, as well.  One, two, three, four......beginning with holding the breath for a count of three might be a good place to start, rather than trying for a count of four or five when it's simply not possible, right now. 

Belly-breathing is a technique used by Tibetan monks during meditation, as well as other cultures.  This is when I am situated in a safe and comfortable position - by "safe," I mean in a place where I "feel" safe.  I place both of my hands one inch above my navel, and breathe in and out and take intentional notice of where my hands are on my abdomen, how the rhythm is (again, counting in my head), and just repeating inside my mind that I am in control of my breathing.

What I often read is that people typically believe that anxiety has some sort of "cure."  That it is treatable via devices, medications, supplements, protocols, cleanses, etc...........Anxiety is rooted in fear.  Period.  Now, "fear" will literally create a physiological reaction - increased heart rate, rapid breathing, conflicting "feelings," and a sense of no control.  Sometimes, the triggers are obvious - a victim of assault might not be able to watch certain movies, listen to certain music, or be in certain places without experiencing extreme anxiety.  THEN, there are the "unknown" triggers that nobody can predict:  aromas or smells, words used in a certain order, colors, weather conditions, etc..............

Anxiety is caused by fear.  That's it, and that's all.  It's not caused by a mineral deficiency or spiritual void.  It is caused by a fear that is perceived to be an iminent threat to our safety - typically, it's our emotional safety, but physical safety can also factor in, especially in the cases of childhood traumas/abuses, etc.  Again, it is the fight-or-flight response gone haywire, and typically NOT based upon immediate danger or threat.  This is not to say that anxiety doesn't create physical issues because it takes up tremendous physiological resources in our bodies.  Anxiety and stress can kill, and the medical community has known this for a couple of decades.  This is why the rampant prescribing of psychiatric medications has gotten out of control - they "mean" well, but they aren't looking outside of the tiny, tiny allopathic box. 

What is vital to understand about anxiety is that any worthwhile practioner - allopathic OR holistic - is NOT going to prescribe things with which to manage it.  It is a cyclical response that is rooted in fear.  Although it is sometimes indicated that a short-term prescription will help INTERRUPT the vortex long enough for the patient/client to catch their breath, any ethical practitioner will direct the patient/client to management techniques that they can use, on their own.  Same goes forth with excessive antidepressants - MANY patients taking antidepressants have the options of managing their depression, themselves, and their depression is situational rather than an organic condition.  But......we're talking about money and that wee, tiny allopathic Universe that has strict boundaries. 

Developing calming rituals and techniques is very, very helpful and very, very do-able for us.  We can do these things, if we choose to.  Once again, the caveat is that any technique requires time, patience, and practice, practice, and more practice.  By practicing techniques - whatever they might be - when we are calm and feeling balanced, we are setting up our own emotional "muscle-memory."  What is THAT? 

Well........think about it in this way:  when you head off in your vehicle to work, or a store, you do not have to tell yourself, "Self, find the correct key or fob to unlock the door.  Self?  Insert the key or press the fob button to unlock the door.  Self, place your hand on the door handle and open the vehicle door.  Now, Self, situate yourself to sit down in the driver's seat, sit, and swing your legs into the vehicle.  Now, Self, reach for the inner handle and pull the door shut.  Self?  Find the seat belt, pull it over your shoulder, and connect it with the anchor.  Now, Self, find the ignition key, place it in the ignition, and turn the key to start the engine.................." etc.  We don't have to do that because we have developed "muscle-memory" over a period of time.  That's why MANY people quit any attempt at an activity that is NEW to them - because, they watch an instructor, teacher, or coworker doing what we're supposed to be learning how to do (in DUE TIME) with such ease that is MUST be simple.  Well, they make it look simple because they have been practicing it, sometimes for decades.

Next time you watch online videos, check out some of the pottery-making videos - it looks SO simple, enjoyable, and so very ZEN.  But, I can tell you that I have seen people walk out of a studio or class after the first lesson because they weren't able to duplicate what they had seen their instructor do.  IT TAKES TIME.  And, so does managing anxiety.  We are not born with these management techniques, nor are we born knowing how to create a pitcher on a potter's wheel - these are things that we LEARN, and learning to manage anxiety is just another challenge to meet.

So, beginning with controlled breathing is a good option along with developing an affirmative personal mantra.  One step at a time.  One technique at a time.  And, practice, practice, practice!  smiley

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.164 sec, (4)