CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Ethical Dillemas

fledgling Views: 3,333
Published: 18 y

This is a reply to # 359,987

Re: Ethical Dillemas

Hi, Mysti,

I am guessing that I know something of how you feel. In a sense, we all do, because we all have families and friends we would like to help, even if just to ease them a little.

You must have noticed the difference in the 'feel' of hospice care vs. hospitals. Maybe that's because there is great pressure to 'do' something in a hospital setting.

In hospice, I think everyone who works there does so by choice; by their intention to soothe their patients. That's powerful 'alternative' medicine, too. Your very presence helps.

You've read Kubler-Ross, of course. There is great comfort in her observation that death may be one of the most beautiful experiences of our lives.

Some even suggest that we become whole, and thirty years old, at the end of our time.

One story has stuck with me...

...A lab technician was caught in a fire at work. A co-worker pulled her out. Later, she said that her first thought, in the fire, was, "Oh. So this is what it's like."

Not, "Ouch!" Not, "What about my loved ones?" Not even, "I'm too young!"

To me, that was a telling remark. Kubler-Ross must be right.

We lost a friend last December. My husband and I mentally sent him energy during his illness. We also gave his wife a couple of 'alternative' products for him. One was a magnesium formula in drops to be massaged on his feet. It was the last thing he asked of his wife.

We feel our contributions to his ease were very small, but somehow effective; and that his death was okay. That he lived a fine life, was widely appreciated and loved, and is peaceful and content now.

We have a picture of him waving good-bye, taken a few years ago. His family printed it on the back of the leaflet at his service. It took everyone's breath away, but perfectly shows his life spirit.

We framed it. Rob smiles at us every day. He's okay.

No, the medical establishment isn't 'bad'. We are just living in a time of change. And change seems to come very slowly. In reality, change and growth are happening rapidly.

How many thousands of years has mankind been 'doctoring' itself?

All of the changes we have made thoughout human history have been chosen by individuals, one person at a time, one case at a time. Today, no matter how many studies are published, each individual still makes his or her own choices, just as you do, according to all one has learned so far.

I ache sometimes that I can't find ways to help people I know and care about, and people I haven't met.

But I work on it. And I take comfort in my conviction that Kubler-Ross and others are right.

Your learning will take you where you'll do the most good, and at exactly the right time. I'm certain of that.

Many thanks, Mysti, for all the good you do.

fledgling

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.063 sec, (2)