CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense?

Corinthian Views: 3,439
Published: 17 y

This is a reply to # 930,872

Re: Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense?

PZ, at least I am honest enough to comment on your whole quote and not cut you off at half sentence an make it appear as you wrote something you did not.

You are well known for running around and spouting off about stuff as if you were an expert.

Only about stuff that I actually know about, like biology, chemistry, physics, math.  I wisely avoid commenting about things I don’t know about, which is why, while I read the iodine forums, I rarely comment on them.

>- Only thing is since they don't understand biology they are not aware of it.

Not sure who you are talking about since my BS is in Biology, graduate studies in biomedical engineering. So, what great scientific study did you do?

I said >- the pH of blood does change over time
you said >- Actually you are incorrect. The pH of blood is fairly constant

Again, you are mistaken. While the blood does normally stay within a range, it varies everyday and even hourly.

No, you are mistaken.  What I actually wrote was “The pH of blood is fairly constant is remarkably resistant to large changes.” Next time at least quote me till the end of the period, which means the sentence was finished.  Please note the modifiers “fairly constant”, “resistant”, “large changes.”  I am not claiming that the pH of blood is as constant as the Northern Star.

>- reality is that any pH change is the result of disease

This is the accepted scientific thinking, which has evidence from genetic studies, kidney studies  as well as coming from our understanding of physiology.    You are proposing an alternative theory without any supporting evidence and which would require a rewriting of your understanding of physiology and biochemistry.  It is up to you to present 1) Evidence that debunks the current thinking 2) Evidence that support your idea. 

>- The pH of blood is fairly constant is remarkably resistant
That is correct, but only to a limit.

Again, you rely on a partial sentence to help you make your point.  I never stated that there were not limits, and my WHOLE sentence makes it clear I am qualifying it within certain parameters.

Hold your breath long enough and the pH of your blood will show a definite change.

Yeah, so what.  No one is arguing that this would not happen, what would happen is that either you will breathe, or pass out and breathe.  After which the pH will quickly return to normal.

>- I can't think of a single food that would change the acidity of the stomach in any significant way
Try a few things with high calcium content after turning off the stomaches acid production. The food will quickly raise the pH of the stomach fluids. You are seriously mistaken. The stomach only stays acid by producing more acid.

It is not the calcium but the Carbonate that is responsible for neutralizing the acid.  Brush up on your chemistry.  The reason calcium ... oh hell...... I'll leave it up to you to figure it out.

I said >- Any alkalinity added to the stomach will reduce the acidity, if only for a short time
you said >- This is also wrong. I can't think of

You are entirely wrong here.

Again you are wrong here.  I wrote “This is also wrong.  I can't think of a single food that would change the acidity of the stomach in any significant way.  That is entirely correct.  You are suggesting lowering the stomach pH by taking concentrated anti-acid medication.  I suggest you do the math and then brush on your chemistry.  I would like to know which food and how much you calculate would be the equivalent of the typical Tums application?  If you knew any chemistry, you have thoroughly forgotten it.

I said >- However, it is the enzymes and minerals that will have a very small effect on the body which accumulates over time.
you said >- wrong and partly right.
Again, you are wrong.

Wrong again.   Once denatured, very few proteins will regain their 3D structure.  This is as likely as un-frying an egg.  The resistance to denaturing is highly individual, so some are resistant either due to buffering or protection by fats, micelles or because they are found within cells.  There is also that they are not found at the surface of the bolus/chime an thus not exposed to acids for prolonged periods, so that they are able to survive unscathed, and make  it to the intestines.

>- Really, I've along with my training mates can take our blood pH to 7.2 doing repeat sprints
Only for a very short period of time. Even you contradict yourself
You said >- Even those of us who for the sake athletic performance try to intentionally go 'acidid" have a very hard time doing so. And any change is quickly modulated so blood reverts to its normal range.

There is no contradiction, you have to read all the sentences, and not just small sections.

Even those of us who for the sake athletic performance try to intentionally go 'acidid" have a very hard time doing so”. Is completely true, you have to work hard to build your lactate levels.  And when I later wrote; “Really, I've along with my training mates can take our blood pH to 7.2 doing repeat sprints....” I was also correct.  These sentences do not contradict each other.

The stomach can and does fail to produce acid in some cases..
I never claimed that the stomach has an infinite capacity to produce acid.  You are making an argument against things I never mentioned.

The blood pH is adjusted by buffering.

Only 1/3 right.  The three mechanisms are Buffering, Respiratory and Renal.

This buffeing removes alkaline minerals from cells and bone tissue.

Wrong.  The buffering is controlled by proteins including Hb, the carbonate and the phosphate system.  The carbonate system does not act directly on blood pH.

It is when this buffering ability is lost that the blood pH is not stable any more and then goes severely acid.

The blood goes acidic when the kidneys fail, sometimes if the liver fails.  Kidney failure and diabetic acidosis are the most common causes.

>- We know that the opposite is true. People that exercise are LESS prone to develop cancer.
Yes, but this is because the extra breathing brings in enough O2 to help the body return to an alkaline state. The acidity is short term.

Actually, the reason seems to be due to elevated immunity, apoptotic response, superior insulin sensitivity, reduced inflammatory proteins, and decreased IGFs.  There are probably a few more that I haven’t mentioned.  Neither Oxygen, nor alkalinity seem to be the reason.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (6)