CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: what helped me

unyquity Views: 2,130
Published: 19 y

This is a reply to # 378,317

Re: what helped me

been there done that,

You say many things, most of which have some measure of validity and truth.

But this? ..."Whether you ever experienced anything similar or not, probably all Depression (especially LONG-TERM depression) is some form of identity crisis."

...is not necessarily the case. In fact, suggesting that Depression is something that can always be thought away, counseled away, realized away or somehow manage to disappear with absolutely nothing but 'changed outlook' or changed thinking...can be EXTREMELY harmful to those who suffer with Depression that is based on physical issues.

Generally speaking, ALL healing is a blend of balanced spiritual, mental, and physical...but when counseling, advising or attempting to assist someone in the grips of deep depression, suggesting that they need to change their outlook or thinking can lead them to feeling like worse of a failure (sometimes this can lead to all kinds of 'worseness'...especially suicide).

Depression IS an inability to see reality like it really is, and it's major symptom is an inability to believe that things can change or that the depression will ever leave. Most people cannot change their way of thinking about their 'identity' (or even fathom trying to) when they cannot even think/believe that there's any hope.

So, it's my opinion that one needs to 'rule out' any potential/serious physical cause (as there's almost ALWAYS a physical root/aspect to depression) BEFORE telling someone to change their thinking. It's impossible to change one's thinking if the brain is not functioning correctly...and again, telling someone whose brain is malfunctioning and already full of self-blame, to change their thinking - can easily be the last straw that breaks the camel's back.

I'm certainly not criticizing you, (as my feeling is that you're honestly trying to help someone from the bottom of your heart...and that's always a good thing). The only thing I wanted to point out is that it's VERY important to follow the ancient physician's creeds..."Firstly, DO NO HARM"

If all healers and physicians followed only that creed, the world would be virutually disease free (and a MUCH better place to live).

Blessings,

Unyquity

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.140 sec, (2)