CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Hypoglycemia: what worked for you?

mike1962 Views: 6,020
Published: 8 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,526,217

Re: Hypoglycemia: what worked for you?

I have struggled with the low blood Sugar problem all my life, but didn't really know what my problem was until I was over 30 years old. I grew up saying "I feel weak" alot. Looking back, my system couldn't go a normal amount of time without getting some nutrition.

I've spent years going to the cabinet for those couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter to get feeling a million times better inside of a few minutes. Away from home, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cheese crackers, even slices of pizza stashed in my jacket pocket for those times when I'm crashing.

The one constant that I've noticed is the quick fix always seems to be a combo of protein and Sugar together, like the "magical" spoons of peanut butter.

In the past year, I found a product that has been a life changer for me. Balance Bars, specifically the Yogurt Honey Peanut flavor. Reason being is they don't melt if you keep it in your pocket or in a hot car. I can eat a half of one in about 30 seconds (which is enough to keep me good for another hour and a half or so during the work day). They have other flavors available, but all the others I've tried either melt into a mess in the heat (and I'm in Florida), or they take longer to chew up and eat.

I keep a couple next to the bed at night and when I get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, my Sugar is bottomed out and I feel like I'm starving. I eat a half of one on the way to the restroom and when I go back to bed just a couple of minutes later I feel back to normal again.

Balance Bars aren't marketed as a product for hypoglycemics, but I have found them to be the absolute best quick fix food for me, especially during the work day.

I used to have a sink full of spoons with peanut butter on them for over 20 years and now I rarely ever go the the spoon of peanut butter. It's time consuming and very inconvenient during the work day to try to go off and grab a spoon of peanut butter or eat a granola bar.

I hope this helps you or someone else reading it. Balance Bars have been a life changer for me. I consume about 10 of these a day which might sound a little much, but before I started using them, I had bags of peanuts, granola bars, spoons of peanut butter all over the place.

Because of the inconvenience of using those items, I often let my sugar tank way too low before I'd get to a place where I could take time to get something in me to level me out.

After comparing stories with other hypoglycemics over the years, I do believe their is a ton of misinformation in the medical books about the experience a hypoglycemic goes through and what it takes to get the sugar leveled off quickly. Best of luck to all.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  curezone.org

0.102 sec, (2)