Ask The Experts: Chronic diarrhea after gallstones surgery

Views: 21,735
Published: 22 years ago

This is a reply to # 127,280

Ask The Experts: Chronic diarrhea after gallstones surgery

Ask The Experts!
Question Regarding:Chronic diarrhea after Gallstones surgery

Viewers Question

I am a 26 yr old male that had my gallbladder removed and a hyatal hernia repaired a year and a half ago. Since a month following the surgeries i have had diarrhea following meals. Sometimes I can go three to four weeks without diarrhea, but most of the time I still have it. I have had c-dificile, candida albicans and salmanoella bacteria. Have also had hypoglocemia problems. Within 6 mos. of surgery i had lost 30lbs. I am currently up about 7 lbs (still down 23lbs). Diarrhea occurs at my normal bowel movement time as it always has, the only thing different is that it is diarrhea with major cramping and it seems to completly clean me out (similar to taking go-lytely). Have had the following tests: colonscopy, numerous stool tests, berium x-ray, endoctrine tests, blood tests including AIDS (which was negative). Colitis and chrohns have been ruled out. Do you have any suggestions for possible diagnosis or other possiblities?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Doctors Answer

Ten percent of patients who have their gallbladders removed develop bothersome diarrhea. This is most likely due to the effects of bile acids which no longer are being stored in the gallbladder but rather circulate in larger concentrations through the intestines. Although it has not been medically tested, cholestyramine--which binds bile acids--has been suggested as a potential treatment for post-gallbladder removal diarrhea. Anecdotal information suggests that oleic acid also may be effective. (Oleic acid works by inhibiting the transit of intestinal contents through the intestines.)

Please remember, information can be subject to interpretation and can become obsolete. Therefore, information should never be a substitute for an open and trusting doctor-patient relationship. Always consult your doctor.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.167 sec, (1)