CureZone   Log On   Join
Every time I eat now Im in the bathroom with diarreah?

lilbear Views: 22,496
Published: 22 years ago

This is a reply to # 127,280

Every time I eat now Im in the bathroom with diarreah?

From The Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Forum

Gall Bladder Removal

Forum: The Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Forum
Topic: Diarrhea

Q lilbear
(23-Apr-02) . I recently had my gall bladder removed. It seems like every time I eat now Im in the bathroom with diarreah? Is this a common symptom after that type of surgery? I have family members that went through the same thing with the same outcome.Any hope I wont have to do this the rest of my life. Are there any medicines I could take and should I increse my fiber intake. Help!

C1 sagie
(23-Apr-02) . Hi,

I just had GB surgery on March 12 and had diarreha also. Seemed like I was in the bathroom constantly and didn't want to stray too far from home as I wanted to be close to the potty when it hit. It finally started to taper off after a month and many visits back to the doctor asking why this was going on. There is a prescription they can give you called Questran that will help with this problem. It is not exactly tasty stuff, but does help. From what I was told, diarreha is quite common after GB surgery. You may want to visit with your doctor about this at your followup visit just to make sure nothing else is going on.

C2 gumby
(23-Apr-02) . Hello,
I had my gallbladder out on March 5, and I still have diarrhea most of the time. I was told that it is normal and that bowel movement should return back to normal gradually.

C3 drumgal
(23-Apr-02) . HI, I had my gallbladder removed on March 28th. I have not had a problem with diarrhea. My problem is constipation. Sometimes I wish I had diarrhea, constipation is very uncomfortable. Good luck.

C4 INALOTOFPAIN
(24-Apr-02) . .....................I wish you could have had taken a different approach at solving your stomach troubles. Quite often I read that gallbladder removals are not exactly the best course of action, in fact, removing one's gallbladder generally exarcebates the pre existing conditions.

C5 Romy
(24-Apr-02) . I have met a lot of people however who claim that gallbladder surgery has greatly improved their lives. It all depends, I guess.
Romy

C6 Train
(24-Apr-02) . I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago and still suffer from the diarrhea problem, usually soon after I eat. I have been on all kinds of medication, including Cholestlist and Questran Lite. Nothing helped. I have noticed that when I tend to drink Slim Fast the diarrhea subsides greatly. I am guessing it is the high protein and fiber in it.

I asked my gastro why the meds didnt help me and he said that this is a common problem in 15% of the patients and of that 1% of them the meds dont help. I am the lucky one to fall in that 1%.

I decided long ago not to let this control my life. I avoided eating out, eating infront of friends even road trips. Now I just say the heck with it and go. Pack some slim fast for the road trips and I am fine

C7 Kat2u
(24-Apr-02) . I had diarrhea before my GB surgery, for months and months. After my GB came out, I continued to have it for a few weeks. I get an occasional occurence of it, maybe once ever 4-5 days. But its nothing like the horrible diarrhea I had before the surgery and it continues to improve as time goes on. My surgery was March 23.

C8 arbor
(24-Apr-02) . I had my gall bladder removed in early February. I had diarrhea, like you describe, for the first week. Things seemed to settle down after the first month, and now, I am not having significant digestion problems. It's certainly a lot better than it was before the surgery.

My doctor said that diarrhea is a commone side effect of gall bladder removal. But in most patients, the diarrhea subsides within 6 months. The doctor said that a small number of patients (she said about 5%) have persistent, recurring bouts of diarrhea.

C9 JANEB
(25-Apr-02) . I had my Gallbladder removed by laproscope in September 1992. Since that time I too suffer from diarrhea. My consultant told me that was one of the side effects of Gall Bladder reomoval. I have a great urgency to go to the toilet within half an hour of eating my meal, so unfortunately 10yrs on I am still suffering. I also notice on the odd occasion that a bm will contain a lot of bile.

C10 Kat2u
(25-Apr-02) JANEB Has your Doc even tried you on Questran? Also, I have heard some people with your problem have great luck with Caltrate (calcium) in the purple box.

C11 damelo
(26-Apr-02) . i had gb removed 4 yrs ago. no diarrhea or constipation. everything will be normal so not to worry.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.186 sec, (3)