CureZone   Log On   Join
Help! My dog's become incontinent after being castrated.

Views: 17,501
Published: 18 y

Help! My dog's become incontinent after being castrated.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with your dogs and have you found anything that helps?

Last year I was forced to have my male, then 8-year old Ridgeback, castrated because of heavily inflammated prostate which had caused a rupture in his lower colon. My dog was in great pain and the vet said I had absolutely no choice but to castrate or the problem would reappear. I wasn't given any time to check out alternatives and because of the obvious horrific pain my dog was in I let the vets do it.

In my country neutering dogs hasn't been very common so far and I'm personally against it unless for medical reasons. This is based on the fact that a growing number of dog owners in my country are starting to neuter their Rhodesians (and other larger breeds) just because they can't handle their strong-willed dogs, a dog they shouldn't have bought in the first place then is my opinion.

Still, I let the vet castrate my dog against my better judgement and without seeking out other options, but it was an emergency and when your beloved dog is crawling on the floor with pain you're very easily convinced. And maybe it was the right thing to do and perhaps there weren't any options. I don't know.

A couple of weeks after the operation he had healed fine and he hasn't changed that much of his personality luckily, due to his age I assume. He still lifts his leg, checks out the lady dogs and such. BUT, then he started to pee himself when he was asleep.

This has only been an occasional problem but now has it has gotten worse and this last week he's peed himself almost twice a day. I've tried giving him less to drink and I've been using a medicine called Renixin which initially has helped keep him dry but this week it hasn't helped at all.

I will of course book an appointment at the vet's BUT before I do I just wanted to see if anyone here on Curezone had any solutions to offer.

I know the prostate can cause problems for older, male dogs but is their anything owners can do to limit the risks for this when the dog is young? One breeder I spoke to thought that for ex dried pig ears which is commonly given as treats to dogs here can cause prostate problems.

I feed my dog raw meat, raw eggs, fish, vegetables, ACV, CO, fish oil, grass powder, ecological wheat but his food has been very varied (and not always ideal) over the years due to traveling, where we lived, shop supplies e t c.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (2)