CureZone   Log On   Join
atma vikasa

Lugol’s Iodine Free S&H
J.Crow’s® Lugol’s Iodine Solution. Restore lost reserves.

Heart Worms?
Hulda Clark Cleanses

janaki Views: 4,104
Published: 20 y

This is a reply to # 590,053

atma vikasa

Hi Shanti,

Hmmm. What I know of Atma Vikasa is that it's a place/centre in Mysore where people are studying yoga. Yogacharya V. Venkatesha? I've never been to Mysore, but what I suspect is that since thousands are flocking there to study with Jois, that this place has become popular as 'another' place to go in Mysore, so cashing-in on the popularily that Jois has with westerners. But, of course, having not been there I can't substantiate this. I know a few people who have studied there. It sounds like Venkatesha is knowledgeable.

As to whether "atma vikasa" is a "style" of yoga. I don't believe in styles of yoga. There is only one yoga. We have done a great disservice to it by creating "styles". These "styles" have largely sprung up as a result of the westernization of yoga (which is deeply affecting how Indians practice yoga as well). If this Yogacharya V. Venkatesha guy is promoting this as a new "style", this is problematic. Yoga has been practiced for many thousands of years. The asanas, pranayamas and mantras have been developed by great saints and sages who have achieved samadhi by these practices alone. They were not developed for $. THere's a lot of ego in the practice (and teaching) of yoga today.

I spend a goodly amount of my time trying (in small local ways) to dispel the idea that there are "styles" of yoga, and also the notion of "yoga celebrity" which does a bigger disservice still to the practice.

Having said all of this. None of the practices are wrong, some just truer to the source than others. I would be suspicious of anyone in the west who says they are teaching an "atma vikasa style" of yoga. Of any yoga teacher, I would ask their certification and qualifications. Some people feel that a trip to India and a little study with so-and-so qualifies them to teach. It shouldn't. ONly a reputable certificate of teacher training should.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. If you give me some more information I might be able to answer a little better (ie. if you are looking for instruction or a teacher etc.) Otherwise you just got my "styles" rant!!!

Hope this helps.
Om om,
janaki

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.125 sec, (2)