CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Hurrah for breastfeeding!

newmother Views: 2,093
Published: 18 years ago

This is a reply to # 55,459

Re: Hurrah for breastfeeding!

That is sooo wonderful that you worked through the challenges are breastfeeding!!! I have a 7 month old son who I am still nursing and I plan to nurse him as long as possible up to 2 years depending on when he ready to stop. My son was exposed to the chicken pox several times from people I go to church with and he never got it because he has my antibodies. It was hard at first to breastfeed and in the beginning I felt like giveing up but I was soo determined to give him the best and I just kept working out the difficulties. My son was born by emergency C-section so my milk took 7 days to come in and we did have to supplement him with formula in the hospital but I made the nurses give it to him through a syringe and not a bottle. Well I cried and I creid but I just kept haveing him suckele and I got the latch down pat. He was an eager nurser and his sucking reflex was strong. It did hurt for the first 2 weeks but that lanolin cream was my best friend. Well once the milk came in things worked them self out and the milk kept coming and my body would supply what he needs. Now he is a chubby baby and he is sooo happy!!! I can see why many moms give up and the hospital staff isn't always helpful. They were telling me things like I wasn't making milk and it should of came in on the 2nd day. It was like they were trying to sell me on the formula. Why would they try to endorse formula?? What good is it to them. It seems that a lot of people who had kids in the 70's are against breastfeeding. My mother in law is one of those people and I have gotten the cold shoulder a little bit from her but I know I am doing what is best and the longer he nurses the better. We have just started him on solid food but we are still going very slow at it and 95% of his diet is still breastmilk. Yes nursing is a personal choice but in my heart I wish more mothers would nurse for the sake of the babies. It is good for mom too- when we nurse a hormone called prolactin is realeased which is called the "mothering hormone". Well it helps us to feel at peace and calm and happy. Also a reduced risk of cancer is a benefit amoung soo many other things. I think more moms would nurse if they had the support. The formula campains don't help and I know of many mothers who's kids got stuck on the bottle in the hospital. I have talked with these moms and there is regreat from them for not nursing. Well hopefully things will change in our society and more moms will see that nursing is best. I am soo thankful that I stuck with it and now my son and I have a wonderful bond. I want to congradulate you as well for sticking with it. I know how hard it is when everyone around you seems to be anti breast feeding. Good job!!!!!!!

Sarah :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.101 sec, (2)