CureZone   Log On   Join
Thanks for the responses (Long)

dread Views: 3,409
Published: 21 y

This is a reply to # 39,424

Thanks for the responses (Long)

Thanks Southern Belle, clary, InCharge, and jimmeq for your honest and timely responses. In particular, InCharge, thanks for your detailed response. I have taken your thoughts and advice to heart. I've really been thinking hard about this for the last few days. I talked to the offices of the only "holistic dentist" I could find in Atlanta (a Dr. Cann), and it turns out that she refers patients that need root canals to the same dentist that I'm going to for my root canal. :-) So, as you might expect, she does not take a position against root canals (neither, though, did the assistant I spoke with take a strong position in favor of a root canal; she was not selling anything, was very fair with the various options and their plusses and minuses, and actually spent several minutes on the phone with me when I wasn't even a patient).

Is there a dentist in Atlanta that does recommend against root canals in general? I supppose there probably is, but I could not locate one in a fairly exhaustive internet search (not that dentists are known for their internet presence). I did locate a dental surgeon who specializes in extractions, and who is known for using a technique to clean out the socket to prevent cavitations. Actually turns out to be the same doctor that removed all four of my wisdom teeth about 18 months ago. So I know the extraction option is open to me.

So for me it comes down to weighing the spectrum of opinions:

A - NEVER have a root canal

B - Don't have a root canal if you can help it

C - I had a root canal and it turned out very badly

D - I recommend root canals in general, but only if you use MY particular method (the biocalex debate comes in here)

E - We recommend root canals in general as a first option, "to try to save the tooth," but we also admit that in a certain small percentage of cases, the procedure is unsuccessful; in those cases, we recommend (the "A" camp would take issue with the "E" camp's definition of "successful")

F - We LOVE root canals

G - Anybody who is against root canals is obviously an irresponsible quack

Both of the dentists' assistants that I spoke with today were in th "E" camp. All of the other positions were ones I encountered on the internet. (Please understand that it is not my intention to mock or disparage any of these positions--except maybe the last one, but I'll leave that alone.)

I appreciated the candor of the two dentist's assistants that I spoke to today, and understand their reluctance to take a strong position, but the end result is that it's my decision--and the clock is ticking. :-)

What I think it comes down to is a roll of the dice: it appears that the vast majority of these things turn out okay. I've seen some stats (though not verified them), and spoken to several acquantences about root canal experiences and stories, and did not hear a single horror story (which of course does not prove that the horror stories I've heard on the internet are not real). If it does not work out, according to both people I spoke with today, then I'll know it, and at that point the tooth can be extracted. (I also came across the counter-argument from the "A" camp that x-rays don't always reveal infection, and bad things can happen with your health and you won't know it really traces back to your infected tooth. It seems a strong argument, but is perhaps mitagated by my awareness to the risk, and my already generally good health.) Finally, the root canal will be covered by my insurance, while extraction and prosthetics will cost me a few thousand.

I'm going to roll the dice and go for the root canal. The dentist I go to is as far as I can tell one of the only "alternative" dentists in town. He's a mecury-free activist, an alternative health buff, and seems tuned-in to the shortcomings of "traditional" root canal technique. I spoke to the only other "alternative" dentist I could find, and she sends her patients to my dentist. Perhaps I'll come to regret the decision, but this seems the prudent course.

Thanks again,
Dan

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.125 sec, (2)