CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Do I have AF ?

mhallesy Views: 8,800
Published: 20 years ago

This is a reply to # 389,080

Re: Do I have AF ?

Hi, Good to hear from you (the only reply I've had !) . I am rather older (58) , still have metal fillings though they've been there over 40 years but have never had Lyme's disease. I lead a sedentary mode of life and haven't taken significant exercise for several years. My symptoms started about 18 months ago , initially restricted to a strong palpitation at the exact moment of falling asleep coupled with a high sensitivity to any form of noise e.g. a creaking floorboard , which would also cause a palpitation or skipped beat. If it's any consolation to you the condition (according to my best friend who is a physician with over 40 years experience) is benign and is not cardiac related , even though the symptoms themselves are , as you know , quite distressing. I've undergone extensive tests and my heart seems fine according to all the doctors who have examined me. The most popular diagnosis is that the problem is gastric in origin ( I had GERD for many years) . I was a heavy smoker but since giving up eight months ago I have not suffered from classic heartburn symptoms. I also drank heavily but have not touched alcohol in 5 years. I do not suffer from Depression though I am under a fair amount of stress as I am heavily involved in building myself a new house.
I have found that the symptoms have changed so that instead of a palpitation I experience a painful jolt almost like an electric shock. If I can summarise all the facts then possibly you may identify with some or all of them and perhaps let me know.

1. It always occurs when lying down ,and at the point of sleep or while trying to settle to sleep. Sitting up seems to alleviate it.

2. There does seem to be a relationship between how late I've eaten and the type of food I've eaten with the likelihood of having an "attack" - spicy food (which I love) can give problems) . I have taken Ranitidine at bed-time regularly for at least 5 years but have recently moved on to Omeprazole. I also take 2 Mg of Diazepam , more for it's properties as a muscular relaxant than as a sedative. I used to take 75 mg of Aspirin daily but have stopped doing so as I thought it might be irritating my stomach lining and contributing to the problem.

3. Between August and THIS WEEK (!) the problem slowly improved , the only difference in my medication or my habits that I can pin this on is:

Between May and August I was prescribed Simvastatin to reduce my cholesterol level. I stopped taking this in August when my cholesterol level had fallen quite dramatially. A recent blood-test showed it was high again so I resumed taking them last Sunday. Monday night and Tuesday night I experienced quite severe attacks. As an experiment I stopped taking the statin on Wednesday , I slept through Wednesday and Thursday with no recurrence of the symptoms , I am about to go to bed so will let you know tomorrow how I fare. This is hardly a scientific clinical trial but I am tempted to relate the condition to the Simvastatin.

I am told that oesophageal spasm can mimic cardiac pain and have been more or less told that the condition is not life threatening and that I must learn to live with it. If your symptoms are similar to mine then I suggest that you investigate the possibility of a link with your digestive system. I would be very interested to hear more from you , my email is mike@hallesy.com.
Best Wishes and a good night's sleep

Mike

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.117 sec, (2)