CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: how can I get rid of a p 0 r no home page?

Views: 4,135
Published: 19 y

This is a reply to # 267,582

Re: how can I get rid of a p 0 r no home page?

I have been researching some of the problems that happened to my computer in the last two days. In the 'WINDOWS' menu, go to FIND, then...FILES or folders.

Then search for the files in DATE to find the files CREATED since you experienced the problem (they will be listed after the search).

Review the files and backup (in your word processor) what you want to keep. These are probably all the rogue files that are causing your problem. Review them carefully before you delete them. You can delete them one by one by RIGHT-clicking on the file after you highlight it's name and choosing DELETE, or you can highlight them all by going EDIT, and SELECT ALL (one or two of the files might not want to delete, (a message saying "Access denied" might appear, that is because the file is presently in use by Windows, or because it is locked). In that case, you will have to shut down the computer RESTARTING IN MS-DOS MODE (DOS gives you ALOT more control over the computer when trying to control what the computer is doing). Since the file that you tried to delete before is not in use by DOS, you will now be allowed to delete it.

(In DOS, the word TYPE is a command meaning 'Let me see the contents of the file', if you write TYPE CONFIG.SYS and then press enter, you will be able to read the config.sys file, but DOS is not necessarily case sensitive, I am only capitalizing for emphasis, so I will use the word 'WRITE' for explanation).

If the file does not show when you write DIR and press enter, the file might have the ATTRIBUTE (quality) of being 'hidden'. In that case, write DIR /ah and press enter (that will show the files that have the hidden attribute and normally do not show on a subdirectory listing). Some also have the attributes of being a System file, Archived or Read only. To remove any attributes, write ATTRIB [name and extension of file] -h or -r or -s or -a. You might also be looking in the wrong subdirectory, in that case, write CD.. (that's CD period period) and press enter. Repeat until you get to the C:\> prompt. Then write DIR [name and ext. of file)/ah /s and press enter. Now the computer is seaching your whole hard drive to find that file (give it two minutes or so, when it's finished, it will show you the C:\> prompt). When you find the rogue file that is causing your problem, remove the attributes that keep it from being deleted and go to the directory where the file is by writing CD [name of directory] and press enter. Finally, delete the rogue file by writing DEL [name and ext. of file] and press enter.

I used SPYBOT to get rid of something called TRAFFIC SPLITTER, and used DOS to delete INDEX.DAT. I don't know what other rogue files my computer was fed, but it's a start and my computer is running fine so far.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (2)