I'm wondering if you can offer some feedback? I've used the sodium chlorite mouthwash a few times, but I stopped since I'm not sure how to interpret my experience.
First, before using each time, I brushed and flossed so that it wouldn't be interacting with food particles. Then I swished for 45 seconds. However, after only a few seconds in my mouth I would begin feeling little pockets develop in my gums (similar to if I'd just had pure sugar), then my teeth began tingling all over.
Each time, afterwards, there has been a film of some sort coating my teeth, enough to cause me to brush them again right away.
I'm wondering if this mouthwash is not producing enough oxidative stress to kill the bacteria, but is perhaps just enough to allow the aerobic bacteria to flourish? Most of the oral pathogens are facultative anaerobes (and a few are obligate aerobes), which means they actually prefer an oxygenated environment.
I've also seen no benefits from hydrogen peroxide.
Regarding oxidative therapies, I had some success with chlorhexidine at one point a few months ago, but it seemed to lose effectiveness after about two weeks, so I stopped using it after I finished the bottle (research has also shown that S. mutans develops resistance to it).
Since CHX works along the same lines as bleach I'm assuming that
oxidative therapy can help me. As I understand it, CHX is more potent against oral bacteria than NaClO2, so maybe I need to increase to a higher strength of the mouthwash? Or would you suggest I try a straight ClO2 solution?