CureZone   Log On   Join
Anyone suffer from excessive fluid on knee joint. Advice info sought.

cludence Views: 11,841
Published: 15 y

Anyone suffer from excessive fluid on knee joint. Advice info sought.

Hi, I found this forum and hoping someone may be able to offer some info, advice. Please bear with the long info description.

I have had a large swelling on the outside of my knee for approx 8 years now. On occaision it caused pain but it never lasted long enough to seek medical advice. In the past six months the pain has increased and become unbearable.

MRI's have shown it is Arthritis and synovial fluid. The fluid accumulating is as a result of a lateral release which was done on my knee as a teenager. Because of the lateral release I have an area which has formed a cavity where fluid builds up and doesnt drain away. It is very large so pulls on my leg muscles and puts my knee cap out of place. This in turn produces blistering under my knee cap.

I have been taping my knee which worked wonders but to do that daily has left my skin raw. I now alternate between a wetsuit material type knee guard and taping. -Both are not comfortable nor suitable for long term use.

Surgery is not possible due to the previous surgery so I have pretty much been told to live with it. The surgeon has never seen a case as severe so cannot offer any other suggestions.

At 36 its a daunting thought being left to live with it. At present I can only think of trying to make my own brace to support knee cap. Given the size can vary, to get a custom made one would prove costly. Therefore I am considering making it myself out of fibreglass.

Has anyone come across something similar or is anyone able to offer info, advice? I really dont know where to look for info given it is unusual.

I am also determined not to give up and be defeated on this. I used to love cycling and would really love to be able to return to this sport.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.055 sec, (1)