CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: 5-a-day juicing vs V8?

michaelw777 Views: 18,085
Published: 18 y

This is a reply to # 133,787

Re: 5-a-day juicing vs V8?

I've been juicing for about 18 months now; even so, I can't answer your 5-a-day question directly. But I'll give you what I think I've learned.

First, the V8 question. V8 isn't a good substitute (and I used to drink it, and might still have one in a pinch when I'm not at home). First of all, it's heavily processed and the juice you're making fresh is far superior to it for enzymes and nutrients and for the vitamins it does have. There are no living enzymes in V8. But worse still is the amount of sodium (salt) that's in a can of V8. Check it out: it's got 25%-47% of your total intake of salt for the day and you'll easily exceed your RDA for salt with the other foods you'd eat for the day. I believe the small 8 oz can of V8 has 25%. Also, it has the red dye in it, and I've learned that's not healthy either. It's probably better than a can of soda, but maybe not by much. And I used to think V8 was great.

I'm sold on juicing. The worst thing I can say about it is the time it takes to prepare and clean up. But for your health, it's worth it. I can easily tell the difference if I stray and don't juice for a week. It's far superior to coffee as a pick-me-up/alertness beverage---and I like coffee. Sigh. That's been hard to give up.

So I just want to encourage you to stay with the juicing. In fact, if you don't have any yet, I'll also suggest you get some books on juicing. My personal must-have book is The Complete Book of juicing by Michael T. Murray, N.D. Others like Jay Kordich's juicing books, and there are other people as well.

Your juicing is absolutely the right step. I don't agree with those who are saying V8 is a better choice---or even a good choice. If you're concerned about the amount of juice you're getting, you can always increase it with more carrots and toss in a citrus. Canned and bottled juices, either vegetable or fruit are not in the same class as your fresh juice.

And if your juicer can handle it---make your own natural V8!

Good luck, stay with it. Make it a habit.

- michael

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (1)