CureZone   Log On   Join
Chicken Tractors

ladylove Views: 2,267
Published: 18 y

This is a reply to # 85,985

Chicken Tractors

Hi Thorn et al,

Do a web search on "Chicken Tractor" to keep from losing natural-fed birds to predators while allowing them to forage for their natural food in a localized area.

You can build a chickenwire enclosure and drag it from area to area of the yard and let the birds munch out :).

I plan to do this when I get my own piece of land. I figured it could be a simple rectangular enclosure built/roofed of chicken wire with a light frame and a pair of bicycle wheels which can be fastened to one end. That way the birds are protected from overhead swoopers or other predators, and can clear out the bugs from the dirt/plants they are located over. At night the tractor can be dragged to a non-movable henhouse enclosure and the birds shut in for the night.

Also that way it won't be necessary to scour the whole area looking for eggs. I am not sure about whether chickens are OK to let in the veg garden, whether they'll peck holes in the harvest or not, but I do know there are professional producers of veggies who use this technique of chicken tractor, so maybe the birds don't ruin your harvest if they get into the garden.

Good Health,
Ladylove :)

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (1)