CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Have you ever REALLY looked at a bird's nest?

archus Views: 3,708
Published: 17 y

This is a reply to # 858,667

Re: Have you ever REALLY looked at a bird's nest?

Hi Southern Belle:

I am glad you had a great experience. Isn't it remarkable that these small creatures can do this. Well, I have a few nests that were fallen in the park. I have seen their work. You would be amazed to hear this.

There is a small bird in India called Sughri(Genus name - BAYA Weaver. They are clever weavers and architects of nests. They do not only build these nest for protection from larger carnivorous birds but also to attract their mates. Amazing thing is that they have a secret chamber in the nest for laying eggs. The other thing they do that no other species does is to thatch a small piece of sticky mud in the inside of the nest and keep it moist. At night they grab fire flies and stick them in the mud. The nest has a night light when they need it but after the flies die they become food for the new born. INGENIOUS!! I get so excited about this, you know I am an architect who appreciates natures architectural marvels.

By the way most of the birds make the straws a bit wet and bend it. They have also learned to use all new man made materials like plastics and paper, which is called learned behavior because they were not programed for that. I see a lot of Pigeon nests in the city built with twigs combine with plastic bags and paper and sometimes light metals.

SB, did you put the plant back on yor porch the way it was? These ceatures are so smart that when someone has disturbed their nest they know. They also scream about it as well. Have you noticed that with your birds?

What kind of birds are they? Blue Jays, Sparrows?

Thank you for sharing this exciting experience. May be we can start a new forum called 'Learn From Birds' Forum.

You can email me at app@nyc.rr.com.

I know we have communicated before about my son.

Take care.
Archus

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.359 sec, (1)