CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: could use some advice

salmacis Views: 1,548
Published: 19 y

This is a reply to # 695,744

Re: could use some advice

Pavi . . . There is such a thing as "non-purging bulimia." It's been a while since I studied psychology, but maybe you can read more online. Per the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders): "There are two main types of eating disorders, Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa. Anorexia Nervosa is characterized by a refusal eat that leads to a below normal body weight. Bulimia Nervosa is characterized by repeated binge eating followed by self-inducing vomiting, misusing laxatives, fasting, or excessive exercise." As for "messing your body up," you'll probably get a wide range of opinions on that. Many people/doctors believe that dieting at all RESULTS IN your body craving more food (especially carbs), hence the binges and other wild swings in eating behavior. In other words, dieting leads to overeating. I found this interesting article, "Exposing the Diet Myth" (http://www.nedic.ca/articles/article_exposing.html), on The National Eating Disorder Information Centre. An excerpt: "Thirty-six normal, psychologically healthy males volunteered to be in the research study as an alternative to active military service. They were put on a strict starvation diet with the goal of reducing their body weight by about 25 per cent. Soon after being on the starvation diet, the men started to exhibit the psychological and physiological effects of starvation—symptoms strikingly similar to those experienced by people with eating disorders. Several of the men lost control of their eating and appeared to experience bulimic episodes. Both during the re-feeding phase, when access to food was unlimited, and after the men were weight-restored, several of them continued to experience extreme hunger and would eat huge quantities of food without feeling satisfied." Looking at all my friends who have dieted or changed their eating behavior to achieve weight loss and to maximize health, the most successful method seemed to be eating whatever you want but HALF the usual portion. Also, by eating tiny portions throughout the day, you can stave off hunger as well as keep your metabolism going. I eat almonds throughout the day; it helps! Last note: I always think about the following two studies. The first study was done with dieters and non-dieters. When dieters ate a larger portion than they planned to, they tend to think, "Ahh, what the hell," and end up eating way more than the non-dieters did. The second study was done with shoppers. The researchers discovered that it was easier to sell something to people who were already spending a great deal of money than to people who were buying little or nothing. These studies demonstrate that we have a natural tendency to give up and go overboard when we've given in a little. Being aware of this helps me avoid self-destructive behaviors and stay within "budget." Hope that helps . . .

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.078 sec, (2)