CureZone   Log On   Join
SARS is not just an Asian disease

Views: 2,227
Published: 21 y

This is a reply to # 564,810

SARS is not just an Asian disease

I think the answer to your last question "Why do we not hear statisitics about how many of the afflicted are from the Asian community and how many are not from that part of the world? Is there a genetic susceptibility to that particular race and do we have to worry if we are not of that origin?" is:
Travel.
SARS began in China (among only the chinese, obviously) Spreading to Hong Kong and Singapore (I am not including the other places) Hong Kong is also practically all chinese people, and Singapore is majority Chinese. I know that in Singapore and Hong Kong, the Chinese travel around to other Chinese countries. They visit each other. And they probably aren't contacting a large number of non-Chinese.
There is also a large Chinese community in Canada, as well as in the USA. When someone who had been visiting, let's say, Hong Kong then goes to Canada, they then contact (close contact) their family and friends, who are more likely to also be Chinese. This is not to say anything about racism, prejudice, etc. but just an observation that it is more likely and more common for people groups to keep to themselves rather than mingling with others extensively.
In other words, SARS started among all chinese and the majority didn't have close enough contact with non-chinese to spread it extensively among all peoples. It's a matter of probability or likelyhood... based on exposure, chinese are most likely to get it, because they are more exposed to one another.

Note: Remember, no one should be avoiding asian people because of SARS, it's NOT a special disease that "they" have. Let's get rid of racial lines that separate.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.078 sec, (1)