CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: problem with my DNA in relation to skin adhesion

longterm Views: 2,929
Published: 11 y

This is a reply to # 2,130,888

Re: problem with my DNA in relation to skin adhesion

I had my appointment with the genetic counselor. I thought genetic research was more advanced than it is in the USA. It does not cover all genes. The visit would have been a waste of time except I learned more about the online DNA health sites. The site I received a report from just analyzes the risks, not genetic defects. Genetic counselors do not know how to analyze the risks in these DNA health reports because they do not measure how much of a risk it is. Just because it is a risk, it does not mean it will happen. If it showed a larger risk of getting something, then these online reports would be more useful. As of now, these online reports do not show if it is a small or large risk. I could still have lactose intolerance, but I just have a smaller risk of it.

There is a site that has more extensive DNA health testing I wanted to use, but it is unavailable at this time. Although the site mostly includes risks, it also includes a small amount of genetic defect results. Those are the test results that genetic counselors can measure since a genetic defect means one has a larger risk of getting something.

The problem with my DNA in relation to skin adhesion was just a risk, not a genetic defect. I do not know if it is a small or large risk. I was hoping genetic counselors were like genetic scientists who knew what every gene meant, but they just know the common ones they test for. When I asked about the specific results I received about the skin adhesion, I had more of a clue what it was than the genetic counselor.

Overall, a genetic counselor cannot help us. They are more into the common genetic tests. There has not been enough research done for what we need. I was hoping there was a DNA health test that could show every problem with your genes. The technology is not here yet, but maybe someday in the future.

I found out that health insurance does not cover any DNA tests, which are very expensive. It is more of a bargain to get a DNA health test from the Internet since some sites may include some genetic defects in the report. It is not the rest of the report with list of risks is inaccurate, but it does not measure how small or large a risk it is. So, genetic counselors do not find it useful. They only do genetic defect tests only selecting a few genetic defects instead of doing broad testing like these internet sites if you have no clue what could be wrong. The DNA result I posted in this thread might be the only test result we can get closest to our condition. Again, they just do not know what to test for.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.125 sec, (2)