CureZone   Log On   Join
Last week of internship and everything is falling apart. Help!

Maverick494 Views: 5,097
Published: 11 y

Last week of internship and everything is falling apart. Help!

I have a problem. Basically the world is crumbling beneath my feet.

I have studies at Uni to finish, I'm in my last week of my internship and everything is going to hell. I really need some advice or at least a listening ear.

This is my situation: I am currently living at home, in the country where my parents live (not the USA) with my chronically ill, rapidly deteriorating mom.
My dad lost his job and has heart and liver problems,
My brother has Down's syndrome and also lost his job, last week.

On top of that we can barely manage to keep our heads above water financially. I loaned my dad $4500 of my savings and this weekend he told me has no way to pay me back because he used it to cover for my mom's care. (we get nurses 5 times a day, because my mom is basically paralyzed).
He's going to sell the only car we have and get a really cheap version in order to give us some breathing room and maybe pay me back.

Aside from my internship I work every weekend, because right now I'm the only one with a job. My dad's unemployment benefits wages will stop soon, so when that happens and we haven't found a solution we'll have to sell the house as well.

This is weighing heavily on the entire family. I need to graduate this year so I can get a proper job, but the whole deal is affecting my ability to function well in a company.

Travel time to my internship is long, but low cost because in my country students can use public transportation at a very low fee. Problem is: it takes me 5 hours (or more depending on the weather) to travel back and forth from my internship. I can't move because I don't have the funds, but it cuts my free time short drastically, on top of all the stuff I have to deal with at home.

At the end of today I need to hand in my graduate thesis.
They don't let me work on it during my internship so I've been working on it in my free time, which there isn't much off. I took one day off from my side job in the weekend, but it wasn't enough.

I worked on the thesis all night and at 4am I realized I wouldn't finish it in time to make it to the internship. I sent the staff an e-mail (at 4am) explaining my situation and hoping they'd let me work from home. I just got off the phone with my boss and she was yelling at me, telling that it was unacceptable for an intern to decide she was going to work from home.
I tried to explain to her that I saw no other choice, but she didn't want to hear it. At the end of the week I'm going to get my evaluation and I know this is going to reflect badly on me.

It's basically the latest in a small string of misses and stumbles I've made lately. In the end I always get my work done on time, but I've had to stretch far to do so.

I'm exhausted and there aren't enough hours in the day for me to finish what I need to do to graduate. I have explained my circumstances in person and I've also explained it in my initial report that I gave to her at the beginning of the internship.

I get that they need to be firm and that they can't let an intern make decisions, but I wouldn't have made it if I saw another way out. What am I supposed to do? I honestly don't know whether to stand up for myself or just take it all in stride.

If anyone reads this, thanks because I know it's an essay. I'd really appreciate it if you would take the time to answer.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.141 sec, (2)