CureZone   Log On   Join
myth about distilled water

spdina Views: 3,445
Published: 17 y

myth about distilled water

myth about distilled water:

"Distilled water and tap water do not differ in their ease of or danger in being superheated. The dissolved impurities in motionless tap water do not present enough disturbance to inhibit superheating."

A popular myth about distilled water is that it has the dangerous property of being more easily heated above its normal boiling point without actually boiling (as seen in Mythbusters) in a process known as superheating. When superheated water is disturbed or has impurities added to it, a nucleation center for bubbles form. These bubbles are then new nucleation centers, and a sudden, explosive boiling can occur, possibly causing serious injury to those nearby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water

I have done this experiment in my home and I can assure you that Wikipedia is WRONG!!!

Distilled water most certainly heats up differently than tap water does! I actually learned this by accident. One day, a long time ago when I used distilled water for about 2-months, I was making some tea with distilled water and I was wondering why it was taking so long to come to a boil, well I lifted the pan to check and make sure the element was on and the water violently shot out of the pan and I got burned. This experience made me question the water, so I began to search for answers and quickly determined that distilled water might not be the best water to drink, so I stopped.

Anyone else care to comment?

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.047 sec, (1)