CureZone   Log On   Join
Mirena causing thyroid problems?

Views: 8,948
Published: 17 y

Mirena causing thyroid problems?

I posted a few times over the past week or so, but to recap my specific problems, I had Mirena in place for nearly 3 years when I had a sudden onset of symptoms/side effects. These included dizzy spells, light-headedness, general fatigue, constant dull uterine cramping with intermittent sharp pains, associated low back pain, and hot flashes. When they didn't subside after a couple weeks I made an appointment with my OB/GYN. Then, the morning of my appointment I also developed slight vaginal itching.

She first did a urine pregnancy test, which was negative, but found an increase of white cells. On physical exam she discovered that I had a yeast infection in my uterus, which was now coming down into the vagina, thus causing the itching, cramping and low back pain. At this point I told her I'd had enough (this would make at least 3 or 4 yeast infections since having Mirena inserted versus 1 over my entire lifetime up until insertion), and I told her I wanted it out. She said that was great, it would be easier to treat the infection that way, and within a minute it was gone. However she was concerned that the infection would not explain my light-headedness or fatigue so she wanted to draw some blood.

The next day she called with the results of my blood work, which showed my thyroid stimulating hormone level to be slightly out of the range of normal (5.4 with 0.3 to 5.1 being normal). She said the official diagnosis is subacute hypothyroidism and this would definitely cause the symptoms I was having, as well as constipation (which thankfully I have not experienced). She said we could begin treatment or we could wait and recheck my blood after a short period of time. I decided to wait a bit to let the hormones from Mirena get out of my system and see if I felt any better, or see if this might resolve on its own now that Mirena is out.

I'm curious to find out if anyone else has had these symptoms or had the same or a similar diagnosis. Thyroid problems do not run in my family so I'm very interested to find out of there is a link to Mirena.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.109 sec, (1)