CureZone   Log On   Join
Comparing Molds/Fungi & Other Parasites (“Critters”)

rabbitears Views: 19,678
Published: 17 y

Comparing Molds/Fungi & Other Parasites (“Critters”)

My goal in this write-up is to share what I’ve learned about molds/fungi and their parasitical nature. When mentioning molds people don’t associate them as being parasites, but they are, as you’ll soon find out. The world of molds/fungi are just as vast (perhaps more) in understanding than other parasites (worms/protozoan).

I’ve always known that molds/fungi were "bad". What I didn’t realize was the extent in understanding the seriousness of them. Approximately 10 years ago, I became more aware of how molds can change lives. A family in our state lost their 5 year old son, because their new home contained “black mold”. It was reported that he had showed signs of respiratory distress and was taken to Children’s Hospital. When he died it was reported that he had mold in the lungs. Apparently the mold growth was exceptionally bad throughout the home -- the family eventually burned the house down.

Sometime ago, I had a conversation with a very knowledgeable person inquiring about their mold experience and the destruction that molds have on people. It was in her opinion that if she were to weigh which was worse, between “parasites” or molds, she emphatically voted molds without question. She had several friends die from mold exposure, according to the information given about their deaths.

I had to really think about what she said and look at a possible truth. So, what would make molds "worse than parasites [worm infection]"? Let's look closer, but first we need a better understanding of molds. There are three things you need to understand about molds.

1. Molds are classified as fungi. The spelling can be molds or moulds; in America the “u” is typically dropped. In the taxonomic kingdom (evolutionary relationship), molds are fungi that produce spores. Simply put, molds are a microscopic form of fungi. Molds/fungi are dependent on substances for nutrition; they can be parasitic or saprophytic (saprophytes are opportunistic organisms that can also be fungi or bacteria feeding on organic matter).

1. Molds/Fungi can be pathogenic to humans whereby they release toxic chemicals known as mycotoxins. The metabolic process of mycotoxins is what can become a serious health risk. Most mycotoxins are harmful to humans and animals. Mycotoxins can cause poisoning to the body system or even death. In the above story about the family who lost their son, the cause could have been either mold or mycotoxins even though it was reported that “black mold” was the awful culprit. It has been documented that there are approximately 350 mold/fungi species and within this classification 50 species don’t produce mycotoxins. In truth, there are thousands of mold/fungi species worldwide and no knows the true number.

1. The word “parasite” has become apart of our everyday vernacular and is typically associated with wormy things or protozoa. If “parasites” are mentioned to doctors, they too will automatically mistake the same word association (perhaps they need more education)! Molds/Fungi are parasitic; therefore, they are also classified along with “parasites”. A good definition for parasites is "anything" that sucks off something else growing/thriving at their expense while harming the other. Below is a comparison to see how true this is between mold/fungi parasites and other parasites.

For the sake of distinction in this write-up, we’ll call the other parasites “critters”; meaning, worm-type or protozoa to cause less confusion while comparing the two parasite categories.

Similarities between Molds/Fungi and Other Parasites

MOLDS/FUNGI

WORMS/PROTOZOAN

·         Molds don't discriminate in who/what they attack in order to survive. Everyone is susceptible without exception to these pathogens.

·         Critters could care less as to whom a person is -- social or economic background doesn’t matter to them.

·         Exposure to molds happens everyday, whether indoors or outdoors. Spores are prevalent in the environment can be found on food and in the air that we breathe.

·         Microscopic critter eggs are everywhere in the environment. Eggs are on food, airborne, etc.

·         Molds/fungi can attach themselves to organs causing a silent destruction as they thrive; these include, lungs, brain, heart, eyes, etc.

·         Critters invade ALL organs throughout the body causing destruction as they feed and grow.

·         Some fungi can grow from a microscopic stage to very large.

·         Some microscopic larvae can grow into full-blown animal parasites; i.e., tapeworms.

·         Decomposers of organic matter.

·         Critters decompose matter in the body.

·         Certain species need a moist environment for survival.

·         Outside the moist body, many critters have difficulty surviving unless they’re feeding off the skin, eyes, etc.

·         Molds release toxins (mycotoxins).

·         Critters are carries of bacteria and release toxins through a chemical process.

·         Molds are able to thrive in an anaerobic environment.

·         Critters don’t need much oxygen to survive.

·         Left undisturbed molds will multiply in the right environment.

·         Critters will silently flourish in the body.

·         Exposure to molds may not cause any symptoms.

·         Critter infections can be asymptomatic (showing no symptoms).

·         Both cause serious ill-health and mental health issues

·         Both grow in colonies as silent invaders

·         Both can be found internally as well as externally

·         Both cause severe damage to living bodies

·         Both can be contracted by foods, inhalation and dermal contact

In trying to understand why molds/fungi are “worse than parasites” let’s look at the dissimilarities between the two.

Dissimilarities between Molds/Fungi and Other Parasites

MOLDS/FUNGI

WORMS/PROTOZOAN

·         Molds bind to material matter making it one of the hardest substances to eradicate.

·         Critters are hard to eradicate, but it can be done (including larvae) with rigorous and disciplined diligence.

·         Many mold species grow roots into its subject. Fungi don’t necessarily produce roots like molds but they are just as destructive with their binding nature.

·         Critters are unable to grow roots and they don’t adhere to matter in the same way; unlike molds/fungi that penetrate cells.

In considering the above carefully, it is my understanding that molds/fungi would be more destructive to nature. The mere reason being is in understanding how they attach to living matter as parasites. Molds/fungi microscopically invade cell walls of living tissue allowing them to become an insidious part of their host. For this reason, their parasitical nature allows them to become more symbiotic with their host, creating more destruction than critters.

I hope that this information was useful in your understanding of parasites and how these organisms can affect one’s health.

Best of Health!

DD

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (15)