CureZone   Log On   Join
alcoholism is a spiritual disease...

drofinnah Views: 3,276
Published: 17 y

alcoholism is a spiritual disease...

below is the last paragraph from page #64 of the "BIG BOOK"...
Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick.

"When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically".

In dealing with resentments, we set them on paper. We listed people, institutions or principles with whom we were angry. We asked ourselves why we were angry. In most cases it was found that our self-esteem, our pocketbooks, our ambitions, our personal relationships,
note the one line that tells you exactly what your problem is...
"When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically"...

it does not say that we exercise our way into sobriety... so health isn't the main concern here... obviously many of us are in extremely poor health before getting sober and staying sober...

and it does not say that we think ourselves into sobriety... all my best thinking got me into "Alcoholics Anonymous"...

the fundamentals of the AA program are about "TRUSTING GOD"... "CLEANING HOUSE"... "HELPING OTHER"... "ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS" was founded by the discovery that one alcoholic could stay sober by trying to help another alcoholic... it is a certainly a spiritual gift that is given to alcoholics to be able to help other alcoholics... to be able to relate in such a way that no others can...

there is one other line in the first paragraph at the top of page #64 that is also very enlightening...
*********************************************************************which many of us had never attempted. Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us.

"Our liquor was but a symptom".

So we had to get down to causes and conditions.
if our liquor is but a symptom... then evidently that would mean that there was something wrong with me before i ever picked up that first drink...

recovery depends upon one alcoholic helping another... the more i understand myself the better i understand you... the better i understand you the more i understand myself... the more i give the more i receive... the more i forgive the more i am forgiven... the more love i receive the more i have to give... the more love i give the more i receive... and in turn...the more selfish and self centered i am the more am i shut off from the sunlight of the spirit...

if you would care to read the book "Alcoholics Anonymous" click on the link below...

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.375 sec, (2)