I'm not preachin to ya....but....

Google Advertisement
Google Advertisement
Google Advertisement
Google Advertisement
Savagegrace Views: 631
Published: 17 y

Here's something I wrote back in October 2000....enjoy.

I took my 85 yeard old Dad (step-dad) out for breakfast this morning. Within the first 2 minutes of being there, 3 waitresses have come up, hugged or touched his shoulder with a good morning Shorty. We were there for our usual boys chat. The manager came with two cups of coffee (a black woman, who, Dad informed me, everybody there liked. Unlike the last 4 managers) She asked when Gladis (Mom) would be showing up. Normally, Mom gives us 20 to 40 minutes before she shows up and we all order breakfast. Dad informed her she was feeling a bit down due the three days of chemo and wouldn't be joining us today. With a Tell Gladis to get better and send her my love she moved on.

Growing up, I hated hearing the words I'm not preachin to you....but.... knowing full well I would be listening to a story I'd heard many, many, times before.....

Grass is Greener....

Son, I'm not preachin to you....but....The grass isn't greener over there. I've seen people leave for a few cents or a lot more. Only to return because they didn't like their new boss or the working conditions were so bad. Who you work for makes a big difference.
We've had several people retire and move somewhere back East. Only to return 6 months later. Oh yeah, the grass is always greener over there. They knew it would be.
Ha! They tried to get me to become foreman. I've seen what happens. When they downsize, the first person to get laid off is the foreman, happens every time. And, you get crap from above and crap from below. It's just not worth it son.There's good and bad in everything son.

Our waitress showed up, asking when Mom would show up. We repeated the story and asked for a Club Sandwhich to go for Mom. She really wasn't feeling hungry when we had left home, but thought she might have it for later. The waitress said she would order it after we had our meal so it would be fresh for Mom.

Going into the service....

Son, I'm not preachin to you....but....don't go in with the expectation of having fun or liking everything. That way, you won't be disappointed. There's good and bad in most everything. If you think it's going to be all good and it turns sour, you will find yourself hating it.

Dad pointed out a new busboy. He can't speak any English yet and he's only 18, says Dad. He had gotten a waitress to translate, so he could give the kid a hard time (Dad gives everybody a hard time). When my Dad asked how many girlfriends did he have, the kid said he was too busy working two jobs at two Denny's (restaurants) sending money home to his Mom.

Unions....

Son, I'm not preachin to you....but....Before Unions, if a boss took a disliking to ya, he'd fire ya. When Unions first came in they were mostly good, bosses couldn't fire you just because he didn't like you. Then, later on, you couldn't fire a lazy bum. Son, there's good and bad in everything. I've always been lucky son, most my bosses have always liked me.

The manager came around with more coffee, when she leaves Dad tells me about when he asked her if she had told her husband about him and her? No she had replied. Good says Dad, I haven't told my wife about us either! (Dad loves to instigate trouble, we have been known to call him short sh_t for the little devil he is)

Pearls before Swine....

Son, I'm not preachin to you....but....Some people aren't worth it. They are SOB's and unless they mend their ways, will always be SOB's. There is no need for people to treat people bad. Son, there's enough bad in the world without us adding to it. Now........I'm not preachin to ya.....but....

If you have read my Blue Collar post you know my perspective on work. Well, now you know where I got it from.

I could go on with examples from my experiences in the Service, from dishonest recruters to Nuc Power, union company and worthless union stewards, downsizings from +2000 to 139 people when I left, major sob's.....and show how much the right twist of, perspective? Attitude? Allows one to enjoy what one has, and often more important, what one doesn't have.

But then....I'd be preachin to ya!

Your Humble Servant,
Gracefully Savage
Getting home, Mom says she's hungry. As I do some odds and ends around their house I notice she has finished off her Club. She has had her hair cropped close as it is falling out. She notices my look, a twinkle forms in her eyes and a smirk on her lips and says I must have been hungry, this is the first time I've finished off the entire sandwhich at one sitting. You know, the Doctors don't know what to think of me. She was referring to the Doctors lack of comprehension of what motivated this particular patient, what kept her going far beyound their expectations. But then, they had no clue of her expectations.

My wife calls me weird sometimes. Having grown up with two people of exceptional attitudes how could it be otherwise? I must have caught it from my parents....God, I hope so.

I'm not preachin to you....but....There's good and bad in most everything....;-)

ROFLMAO

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.188 sec, (3)