CureZone   Log On   Join
How I taught my children to swallow pills.

mytwo Views: 1,807
Published: 18 y

How I taught my children to swallow pills.

I just read some postings on here about teaching children to swallow pills.

I just wanted to share how I taught my 7yo and 4yo. I have a lot of empty capsules laying around from all the capsules I have opened over the last year when my two wouldn't take pills. So, you may need to empty some small capsules or buy some small ones.

I had read this on a website and would be happy to locate the website and share if someone wants to visit it. First, I showed my 4yo that there was nothing in the capsule and laid it on my tongue and slowly told and showed him that I was going to put some water/juice in my mouth with the pill and then tilt my head forward (so the pill will float to the back of my throat) and swallow. Then, I showed him it was gone. I did this a few times and then asked him if he wanted to try. He did and did it on the first try. We practiced this a few times and then I gave him one which was about half full of meds. I showed him again how to do it and he did it. After he did this with success I started giving him full ones (days later). He did notice when the pills had something in them, but I told him it was done the same way as the empty ones.

The 7yo old was taught the same way, but he has large tonsils and has difficulty swallowing food, so it was and still is harder for him to swallow.

After I taught them how to do it, they would have fear of doing it and would not want to take them or gag. So, I started putting the pills in front of both children and had them race. They would kind of forget that they were taking pills and took them pretty quickly.

Hope this helps someone.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (1)