CureZone   Log On   Join
Learning from the Mistakes of Others

boldyloxx Views: 2,296
Published: 18 y

I have a very enlightened pastor who does not prepare his sermons ahead of time (except to study the scriptures)- but relies on the Holy Spirit to teach him what to say in each sermon. Many times God will give him something-- but then change plans at the last second, directing him to NOT give that sermon until a later date. Then He will lead my pastor to rely TOTALLY on Him - not have anything prepared, and following the Holy Spirit's direction as a blind man with a seeing eye dog. Those types of sermons are the best!

This guy is so humble!- and has written books, but will not put his name on the books, because he said "They are God's work, in which i'm priveledged to record" We are the priveledged ones to be so blessed to have direct access to these teachings.

I want to share them with my fellow Curezone members. certain members of our church tape his sermons, and also type and print them out from their tape recorders-- so here is the first one I will share with you this week! :

Lesson 35

“The Mistakes of Simon Peter”

John 13:1-10 John 3:1-6
Luke 22:31-34
Matthew 26:69-75

In recent lessons we have been considering the mistakes of Simon Peter. Our purpose is not to point out the defects or shortcomings of Peter, nor do we want to use his mistakes as an excuse for our own. Instead, we want to learn from the mistakes of Peter. Jesus was able to see beyond the visible to what Simon Peter would someday become. While it is true that Simon Peter committed some serious mistakes, it is also true that he learned from them.

For this lesson we want to consider what occurred during the final Passover meal Jesus shared with His disciples. Recall how at some point during the meal Jesus arose from the table and began to wash the feet of the disciples. When Jesus came to Simon Peter, however, he objected. We read:

“Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. And during supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him, Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper, laid aside his garments, and girded himself with a towel. Then he poured water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which he was girded. He came to Simon Peter; and Peter said to him, ‘Lord, do you wash my feet?’” (John 13:1-6).

Simon Peter did not believe he needed to have his feet washed. Consider the response of Jesus: “Jesus answered him, ‘What I am doing you do not know now, but afterward you will understand.’” (John 13:7). Peter could see what was happening but could not understand the purpose behind that washing. There is much we too see in the visible, but fail to truly understand. True understanding comes not from the soul or human intellect, but rather from the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit. True knowledge and understanding is a product of the spirit, not the soul. The human mind is able to understand much, but not when it comes to the things of the spirit. We are reminded of the encounter of Jesus with the venerated Pharisee, Nicodemus. Recall that Nicodemus was not an ordinary Jew, but rather was a well educated man. In fact, he was considered to be the teacher among the Jews. And yet, when Jesus began to speak to him of spiritual matters, he was at a total loss. In the gospel of St. John we read: “Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicode'mus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, ‘Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do, unless God is with him.’ Jesus answered him, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God.’ Nicode'mus said to him, ‘How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?’ Jesus answered, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit’” (John 3:1-6). As well educated and sincere as Nicodemus was, he was at a loss to understand spiritual truths by means of his human intellect.

Simon Peter was unable to see beyond the visible. Rather than asking Jesus for grace to better understand His purpose in washing the feet of the disciples, Simon Peter opposes Jesus, insisting that Jesus will never wash his feet. Jesus did not force himself on Peter, but did give him a warning. We read: “Peter said to [Jesus], ‘You shall never wash my feet.’ Jesus answered him, ‘If I do not wash you, you have no part in me’” (John 13:8). These were certainly serious words. Jesus was telling Peter that if he insisted on opposing Jesus in this, their relationship would be ended! This Peter did understand, and he responded by completely reversing his position: “Simon Peter said to him, ‘Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!’ Jesus said to him, ‘He who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but he is clean all over; and you are clean, but not every one of you’”(John 13:9-10).

Here we see the fickleness of human nature. First Simon Peter goes one way, then the other. He went from one extreme to the other. Only Peter? What about our own lives?

A person’s feet represent his or her walk. What is it about our walk that needs cleansing this day? We need to pray for grace not to interfere in things we know nothing about. May the Lord give us grace to examine our own walk.

In the gospel of St. Luke we are given some additional insight into Jesus’ warnings to Simon Peter on this occasion. We read: “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren.’ And he said to him, ‘Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.’ He said, ‘I tell you, Peter, the cock will not crow this day, until you three times deny that you know me’” (Luke 22:31-34). Here Jesus warns Peter that Satan himself has demanded to “sift” Peter. What was Peter’s response? Did he thank Jesus for the warning? Did he pray for grace to remain faithful? No, but rather he dismissed the warning. Not only was he not concerned about Satan, but he was ready to go to prison and even to die with Jesus!

That same night, in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus invited Peter, John and James to pray with Him. Unable to remain awake, all three fell asleep. Then, later when the enemies of Jesus came to arrest Jesus, Peter attempted to defend Him by cutting off the ear of the servant of the High Priest. He attempted to defend Jesus with an outwardly violent act. When Jesus was finally arrested, all the disciples ran away. Shortly thereafter, when Peter was identified as one of Jesus’ disciples, he vehemently denied it.

“Now Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. And a maid came up to him, and said, ‘You also were with Jesus the Galilean.’ But he denied it before them all, saying, ‘I do not know what you mean.’ And when he went out to the porch, another maid saw him, and she said to the bystanders, ‘This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.’ And again he denied it with an oath, ‘I do not know the man.’ After a little while the bystanders came up and said to Peter, ‘Certainly you are also one of them, for your accent betrays you.’ Then he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, ‘I do not know the man.’ And immediately the cock crowed. And Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, ‘Before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.’ And he went out and wept bitterly” (Matthew 26:69-75).

The same Peter who insisted that he would never abandon Jesus, but rather was ready to go to prison and even die with Him, denied even knowing Jesus. Only Peter? What about us? How often have we failed to stand up for Jesus? When we knowingly refuse to take a stand for Jesus, we too deny Him as Simon Peter did.

Simon Peter did not remain in that condition. Rather, he learned from his mistakes and repented. Again, what about us? We who have denied Jesus like Simon Peter did – have we repented? Have we “wept bitterly” over our unfaithfulness? May the Lord give us grace that like Peter we might learn from our mistakes. May we not continue to be so sure of ourselves and not make promises to the Lord that we are unable to keep. We must also pray for grace to no longer oppose the Lord when He is dealing with us in some way that we do not understand. It is important that we seek to see beyond the visible and beyond the capacity of our human intellect.

Amen.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.078 sec, (5)