CureZone   Log On   Join
I had a baby with Rhesus disease - can I have another? I am Rh sensitized now.

Skeptic_But_GungHo Views: 6,204
Published: 18 y

I had a baby with Rhesus disease - can I have another? I am Rh sensitized now.

I am 31 years old. At age 25 I had a baby boy. My husband at that time (now my ex) had A+ blood. I am A-. The baby was/is A+. I DID have the regularly prescribed shots of RhoGam (anti-D) during my pregnancy like all other Rhesus negative mothers.

Despite having the shots, my baby was born at full term with moderate Rhesus disease. He was very jaundiced, needed a bilirubin blanket, and spent several days under bili-lights in a neonatal unit. The medical staff were very surprised and didn't even consider that his jaundice was due to possible Rhesus disease at first -- they waited to do a Coombs test because it just seemed impossible. There is no explanation for how I became Rh-sensitized. I have never had surgery, miscarriages, abortions, or any other reason that usually leads to Rh-sensitization. I now have to carry a card stating that I am Rh-sensitized. This is apparently so rare that the Red Cross could not even tell me whether or not I can donate blood (because a female blood recipient of child-bearing age might get the antibodies that would kill her baby from my blood).

My current husband is O+. I read that there is some protection from having an opposite blood type. I have been trying to find detailed information on the Internet about whether or not it is wise to consider having children naturally after Rh-sensitization.

If there is anyone on this board who is knowledgeable about Rh disease and whether or not I can safely have another child, please let me know. My OB/GYN is an older man who has no real knowledge about this and told me I would have to visit an expensive perinatologist just to discuss whether or not I can have another child. The things I read about Rhesus disease on the Internet state that an intra-uterine transfusion could be performed late in the pregnancy if the fetus appears in danger, but there is only an 86% success rate with this procedure (what does that mean - the other 14% die?). A child born with Rhesus disease can be retarded or have severe life-long health complications. I wonder if there is anything that can be done other than the transfusion, and if this is generally considered successful enough to allow for another pregnancy. Any knowledgeable advice is appreciated.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.110 sec, (2)