CureZone   Log On   Join
Eid Al Adha

Views: 431
Published: 18 y

Eid Al Adha

What is `Eid Al-Adha

Although only the pilgrims in Makkah can participate in the Hajj fully, all the other Muslims in the world join with them by celebrating the `Eid Al-Adha, or Festival of Sacrifice. On the 10th of Dhul-Hijjah, Muslims around the world wear their nicest clothing and attend a special prayer gathering in the morning. This is followed by a short sermon, after which everyone stands up to hug and greet one another. The traditional `Eid greeting is "`Eid Mubarak," which means "Holiday Blessings." Next, people visit each other's homes and partake in festive meals with special dishes, beverages, and desserts. Children receive gifts and sweets on this joyous occasion.

In addition, like the pilgrims in Makkah, those Muslims who can afford to do so offer domestic animals, usually sheep, as a symbol of Abraham's sacrifice. The meat is distributed for consumption to family, friends, and to the poor and needy.

The `Eid Al-Adha is a major religious event in the lives of Muslims. Usually, communities celebrate this occasion over a period of several days.

courtesy: http://www.islamonline.net/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lessons of the way of the Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham), where, in total submission to the Divine Command, he was about to slaughter his very own son, until at the last moment Allah sent an animal to be slaughtered instead, are many:

Complete submission to the command of Allah, out of thankfulness, love, and true slavehood. On this day, able Muslims slaughter an animal, whose meat is eating, and distributed to family, friends and the poor, and go early in the day to perform the Eid prayer.
Recognizing ones blessings and thanking God for them: Muslims are encouraged to wear their best clothes, give gifts (especially to children) and celebrate with family, friends, and neighbors.
Remembering the plight of the poor and giving in charity: On Eid day, it is especially recommended to give in charity.
In this and other ways, Muslims seek to join between worldly and spiritual celebration, for it is said, True rejoicing is not (merely) in wearing new clothes, but in becoming true in ones devotion to Allah.‌

The Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, For every people there is a feast and this is our feast.‌ [Reported by Bukhari in his Sahih]

===================

Herewith, we share few memorable quotes:

"O Children of Adam ! Wear your beautiful apparel at every time and place of prayer: eat and drink: but waste not by excess, for Allah loveth not the wasters. [Quran 7:31]

"It is not their meat nor their blood, that reaches Allah: it is your piety that reaches Him: He has thus made them subject to you, that ye may glorify Allah for His guidance to you: And proclaim the good news to all who enjoin right conduct." [Quran 22:37] ( regarding the sacrifice of animals, where the meat is then given to the poor and needy )

The Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, “They are days of eating, drinking, and remembrance of God.â€‌ [Reported by Bukhari in his Sahih, an authoritative collection of the sayings of the Prophet.]

In this same spirit, the Quran mentions that, Jesus, son of Mary, said: O Allah, Lord of us! Send down for us a table spread with food from heaven, that it may be a feast (eid) for us, for the first of us and for the last of us and a sign from You. Give us sustenance, for You are the Best of Sustainers.‌(Quran, 5: 114)

From the Lamps of the Prophethood:

O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me (God) and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it. - The Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, as narrated by Anas, as related by At-Tirmidhi

I seek refuge in God from knowledge that brings no wisdom, from a heart that lacks kindness, from desires that bring discontent, and from supplications that go unanswered. - The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, as reported by Abu
Hurairah

You see throngs of afflicted feeble folk seated at the door in ardent hope. O you who are crushed, your pleas have been heard. Hark! Rush toward the mercy of God and be delivered of pain. How often has your disease been cured? How often
has your soul been delivered of grief?

-Jalalu'l-Din Rumi, "Mathnawi" From "The Bounty of Allah," translated by Aneela Khalid Arshed.

" Allah is the Greatest, Allah is the Greatest. There is no deity besides Allah and Allah is the Greatest. Allah is the Greatest and all praises are for Allah only."

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.064 sec, (3)