CureZone   Log On   Join
Here is yet another Katrina story...

Southern Belle Views: 2,687
Published: 19 y

Here is yet another Katrina story...

Today I worked with an elderly couple who lost their home to Katrina. They lived in a little town close to the coast and Katrina ripped right through their little town and destroyed their home. The retired couple had moved to Mississippi 7 years ago from New Orleans. A flood in New Orleans had destroyed their home in New Orleans (Can you believe that!?) and they wanted to make a fresh start in Mississippi. So, they bought this little home on two acres of land here in Ms and hoped to live the rest of their lives here.

The day of the storm, they drove to Jackson hoping to ride out the storm and then return home, but have ended up staying in a motel for almost three months now.

They walked into my office this afternoon on their way to the post office. You see, they are walking because their car motor blew up on them and they have no transportation now. The car is in the shop and it will cost over $1500 to fix it. They had made many trips back to their home salvaging what they could and the car just gave out.

They are both close to 80 years old and told me they do not understand FEMA. They have been paying for everything by using their credit card. They told me they were too proud to ask for help. They are continuing to make their mortgage payment even though there is no house. She explained to me she would continue to pay her house payment because she has heard of what the IRS does to people who don't pay their bills!

They have had no contact with their daughter, who lived close to New Orleans, since Katrina hit. None of the family owns a Cell Phone . They all had land line phones and, of course, there is no land line phone service on the coast, so there is no way for them to let each other know where they are right now. (I have been posting their names all over the Internet all evening in hopes I can reconnect them.)

The man talked a lot about fighting in the Korean War. He is very hard of hearing. His wife talked about how GOOD their life has been. Listening to them, I knew I had to help them, so they will be my next project. I have verified everything they told me and it is true. When I think this could be my own parents, it makes it even more real.

My prayer is that the daughter will be found safe. I will find them a place to live and they will have furniture, too. Their car will be fixed and they won't have to walk. They truly are one of the forgotten victims of Katrina.

REMEMBER..........THERE ARE STILL 6,644 PEOPLE THAT ARE UNACCOUNTED FOR AFTER KATRINA!! PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THEM!!!

Paulette

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (2)