CureZone   Log On   Join
how often can you store grains in fridge without damaging them?

alwayssick89 Views: 481
Published: 7 years ago

how often can you store grains in fridge without damaging them?

i was on a site called culturesforhealth and it said:

We caution against keeping your kefir grains in the refrigerator on a regular basis. Cold temperatures slow the kefir grains down putting them into a state of hibernation. It can be very hard on kefir grains to regularly be put into and then come out of a state of hibernation. It can disrupt the yeast/bacteria balance and may also make the kefir grains less efficient and reliable.

If caring for kefir grains every day or every other day isn't an option, consider using a powdered kefir starter culture rather than kefir grains to make kefir. This product requires significantly less maintenance than kefir grains.

i have been doing this for awhile and i wonder if my grains are now ruined and i don't even know it. i would make maybe 3-4 batches that would last me about 2 to 3 weeks and i would store the grains in the firdge. do you think my grains are still ok? they still multiply like crazy.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.078 sec, (1)