CureZone   Log On   Join
accudentally broke a lamp with mercury in it..

Heavy Metal Detox Kit
Removes heavy metals from the body

Heavy Metal Detox Kit
Removes heavy metals from the body

ilikeaskingquestions Views: 415
Published: 8 y

accudentally broke a lamp with mercury in it..

I realize that I may be over reacting a bit in this post, but I have asthma and small pets but yea.. so the past hour and a half have been pretty stressful for me.. I'll keep it as simple as possible:

I accidentally broke a light bulb that has mercury in it.

SO i was just sitting around with some netflix, when i decided my living room was too dim. I then went to grab a lamp, and decided to take one of the bathroom light bulbs. I unscrewed the lamps basic lightbulb and put it aside. I then begin to screw in the new lightbulb with the mercury in it. while the lamp was on i was screwing this bulb in and I mustve used to much force, because the thing cracks right in my hand.. It doesn't cut me, but shortly after i realise that it has mercury in it, and i recall somehwere along the way i learned to not touch mercury for whatever reason. The bulb didn't shatter anywhere to my knowledge; it seemed contained in the lamps "bowl" fixture thing, so no major cleanup was done. I do want to mention that the "break" was near my face, about 3 feat away, so I fear that I may have breathed it in. I started holding my breath maybe 30-40 seconds after realising what just happened. All I did after the break was dispose of the bulb, and I put my lamp on my porch; didn't bother cleaning it because I was too paranoid to do so. AFter getting the bulb and lamp out, I immediately grabbed my box fan and pointed it out the door. I used the fan to air it out for maybe 20 minutes before i decided "maybe some fresh air coming in the house will help desolve it or something" so I point the fan inward after that for a little while, then back to blowing outward. all the while my central ac/fan was on, so I was worried it might have spread. I then went to the other room and box fan aired out that one too. it's definitely been around 2 hours now and I have been constantly airing out all the rooms, mainly the living room where it happened.

TLDR

-I broke a bulb with mercury in the living room. It was thankfully contained in the lamp's "bowl fixture", so no glass got anywhere but in the lamp. It was also a very small break, the bulb was basically 70% intact.
-The lamp was on and I was screwing around with the bulb for maybe 20-30 seconds before I stop and pursue cleaning", so I am worried that more mercury was vaporized and put into the air.
-I grab a box fan and air out the room for the next 20 minutes or so.
-I was worried my ac unit perhaps carried some of the mercury through to another room, so I went to air out my room for maybe 15 minutes as well through a window.
-Due to physically touching the break area and the bulb for roughly 30 seconds, I thought I should wash my hands, so I did multiple times and also took a shower shorly aftter

Currently, 2 hours after the break my fan is still out in the living room blowing outward.

Did I handle this situation properly, or was it nothing to worry about to begin with? I just want me and my ets to be safe and I gotta get some responses..

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.063 sec, (2)