CureZone   Log On   Join
fecal transplants available in US

brightmedicine Views: 5,531
Published: 13 y

fecal transplants available in US

Hi,
I'm a naturopathic doctor in Portland, Oregon, USA. I'm launching a colon health retreat program this January, performing fecal transplants (properly known as fecal microbiota transplantation, or FMT) for people with UC, IBS, chronic constipation, Crohn's disease, and even autoimmune disease.
If you'd like to know more, please check out ProbioticInfusion.com, email me, or respond to this post.
Answers to a couple of frequently asked questions:

Q. Do you use Antibiotics ?
Some patients experience excellent outcomes with FMT without Antibiotics . And, there is no clear evidence that using Antibiotics makes FMT more effective. Honestly, we don't even know if it's the presence of a "bad" bacterium or the absence of a "good" bacterium, or just an imbalance that contributes to the conditions that FMT addresses, so killing off a random subset of bacteria doesn't seem like responsible medicine to me, particularly since these antibiotics come with risks of their own.
That being said, the Antibiotic therapy is part of a respected protocol, so I will prescribe them if the patient insists that they want them. I do require that you read and sign a waiver which lists the risks of the antibiotics and states that you are aware of them. Also, I won't prescribe them without having an in-person office visit first, so if you live far away, you either have to make two trips out here or arrive here 7-10 days before the retreat.

Q. Do you deliver FMT via colonoscopy?
I only deliver FMT via enema at this time. Science has not yet determined if colonoscopic delivery is more effective than enema, although there are physiological reasons to think it may be. Many patients have experienced complete and durable relief when receiving FMT via enema. If the colon retreats are getting less than optimal results, I'd like to take training in colonoscopy, but for now, enema seems effective enough.

Q. Will you need to see my past records first?
If your current doctor writes or calls referring you for the procedure, I don't need to see your past health records. Otherwise I do need to request your past medical records, and there is a chart review fee for this. If you have not previously sought medical care for your condition, you can come to the clinic for an office visit evaluation so I can determine if FMT is indicated for you.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.078 sec, (2)