CureZone   Log On   Join
Get Rid of Aphids with Tomato Leaves.

spudlydoo Views: 5,756
Published: 14 y

Get Rid of Aphids with Tomato Leaves.

I've tried this spray in my garden, and it works very well, I use it for roses and other non edible plants.

I use chilli spray for aphids on edible plants.

spud

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/rid-aphids-tomato-leaves.html

Get Rid of Aphids with Tomato Leaves
Got aphids? Get rid of them with this simple, homemade, organic spray.

By Colleen Vanderlinden
Fri Aug 21, 2009 14:59

Aphids are tiny pests that can cause big problems in the garden. They damage plants by sucking the juices from the leaves and stems, which weakens the plant. And, as an added annoyance, they often spread plant diseases as they go about their plant-sucking business. More often than not, you'll see several (and sometimes hundreds) of aphids in one place. They can be black, brown, green, or off-white in color. You'll usually find them on the undersides of leaves as well as on the stems near the leaf nodes. Also, if you start to see an unusual number of ants on your plants, keep your eyes peeled for aphids -- they're probably nearby somewhere.

Often, a strong blast of water from the hose will take care of your aphid problem, and, if you're lucky enough to have an army of ladybugs patrolling your garden, they'll feast on the aphids in no time. But sometimes you need something a little stronger. In this case, you'll be harnessing the power of tomato leaves. (I just had a Billy Mays moment, didn't I? Sorry.)

Why Tomato Leaves Work
Members of the nightshade families, including tomatoes, contain toxic alkaloids in their leaves. The alkaloids are fatal to aphids, which is a good thing. They can also cause gastric discomfort in humans and pets, so try to avoid spraying this where kids or pets might be tempted to mess with it.

How to Make Tomato Leaf Spray

Ingredients:

* Two cups of tomato leaves

* Two cups of water

* Cheesecloth or fine-mesh strainer

* Spray bottle

To make the spray, chop up the tomato leaves and add them to the water. Let it sit overnight to steep. When it's done steeping, strain the leaves out of the water. Add another cup of water to the steeping liquid to dilute it a bit, and add the concoction to a spray bottle.

Using the spray is simple. Just spray your tomato leaf spray on the leaves (top and bottom) and stems of infested plants. Once should be enough, but check back the following day to see if you missed any, and, if you did, spray the plant again. Don't keep this spray for more than a week or so. Any unused portion can be diluted with more water and safely added to your compost pile.

This is one of those green, cheap solutions that really work. You don't need a toxic spray, and you don't need to spend money on commercial organic treatments such as pyrethrum. If you're growing tomatoes (or have a neighbor who is) you have everything you need to take care of your little aphid problem.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.156 sec, (2)