CureZone   Log On   Join
Winter Freeze and My Baby!...ok it's thyme but still!

Raven486 Views: 457
Published: 14 y

Winter Freeze and My Baby!...ok it's thyme but still!

I have a thyme plant that I've been growing since early spring. Its big and beautiful...although strangely never blossomed (perhaps the species type?).

Anyway, I'm from Chicago IL and its going to snow soon and dip below 32 degrees. I know thyme is hardy but this is a potted plant and I dont want my baby to die! All my other plants I will need to replant next spring, but this is my first time with a plant that can survive the winter where I didnt live in a house with a basement (and a big window). And I'm afraid that harsh Chicago cold and wind will destroy it.

I live in a second story apartment and its been living on my balcony happily during the warm months. Do I bring it inside? If so should I use one of those sun lamps to give it enough light? If I leave it outside what will 100% insure its survival?

Other plants have already died. My marigolds even perished! I've had marigolds through winter before, so this winter is going to a bad one.

The thyme plant looks unfazed, no dying leaves. But I want to keep it that way. Thanks for any advice. I've searched the web for ideas, but most sites I found were not aimed for harsh chicago weather conditions

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.110 sec, (1)