CureZone   Log On   Join
Adaptogens: what's wrong with them?

Lugol’s Iodine Free S&H
J.Crow’s® Lugol’s Iodine Solution. Restore lost reserves.

Google Advertisement
Google Advertisement
Google Advertisement
GaiaSophia Views: 14,240
Published: 14 years ago

Adaptogens: what's wrong with them?

Like most people with adrenal fatigue, I've had adverse reactions to "adaptogens" in the past. However, after educating myself and changing my approach, I've been having some good results in the past couple weeks. And I think there are a few reasons why adaptogens are getting a bad reputation.

First of all... the QUALITY of an herb is everything. Ginseng can cost anywhere from $20/pound to $20,000/pound, depending on the quality. The mass-produced, generic herb capsules that most people take are not going to be the good stuff. How was it grown? How was it harvested? What part of the plant was used?

Just like any industry, there are low-end herbs and high-end herbs. If you have adrenal fatigue, the quality of the herbs you take can make a world of difference.

The amount ingested is important as well. I've noticed that a lot of people with AF take "single herbs." Like they say licorice root is good, so someone tries licorice root. Or eleuthero root. Or ginseng. But these are powerful herbs, and if a large dose is taken, it can be too much. Even a healthy person can have trouble if they take too much of a strong herb.

Most of the so-called adaptogens come from Asia, but in traditional Asian medicine, herbs are almost never taken by themselves (especially if you're seriously ill). They are always taken in a balanced formula to minimize possible side effects.

For example, a formula might have some licorice and ginseng, but it would also contain gotu kola, astragalus, reishi, or other herbs to round it out. This way, you're taking smaller amounts compared to taking just a single herb.

I've noticed that most American supplement companies have no clue when it comes to herbalism. They take a very allopathic approach. They find a bunch of herbs that are supposedly beneficial for a certain condition, and then they put all of those herbs in one formula.

So most "adrenal herb products" are just a bunch of adaptogens slapped together without thinking about the combined effect. Dr. Wilson's Herbal HPA is maca, eleuthero, and ashwaganda. Dr. Lam's Adrenal Boost is licorice, maca, and eleuthero. There's no balance, no finesse, no overall plan. And since herbs potentiate each other, a formula with nothing but adaptogens can be too much.

I've been taking some herbal product that contain some adaptogens, but they are small parts of a balanced formula. And I'm starting with a very low dose. People with adrenal fatigue are very sensitive, so low and slow is the way to go. So far so good.

The confusion regarding adaptogens is understandable because herbalism is an immensely complex subject. Most doctors, even "alternative" doctors, don't have the time to develop a sophisticated understanding.

But saying that adaptogens are bad for adrenal fatigue is like saying that food is bad for adrenal fatigue. Yes, too much food, or the wrong food, can be bad, but there's nothing wrong with food in general.

And think about it... how did people with adrenal fatigue 200 years ago cure themselves? Food and herbs.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.059 sec, (2)