CureZone   Log On   Join
My Post-Mirena Experience

LorrieQ Views: 1,690
Published: 14 y

My Post-Mirena Experience

Here is my experience thus far following the removal of Mirena -

May 20, 2010

I had the Mirena IUD removed today after having it for 5 years. It was inserted in April of 2005 when Isabella was 3 months old. During the time I had it, I absolutely loved it, especially not having any periods. Due to the cost ($671.00), I began researching other options, and became aware of the many common side effects of the IUD, many of which I had had, but had not attributed to the IUD. My side effects included major fatigue even after 10 hours of sleep, heart palpitations (began Feb. 2007), joint pain and stiffness, which required use of prescribed anti-inflammatory medications and a knee brace (began Jan. 2009), anger, rage, and major Depression and anxiety for which I began taking (and continue to take) anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication (began meds April 2007), complete loss of sex drive (began about 1 month after insertion) swelling of face, arms, hands, and legs, and weight gain. The swelling and weight gain progressed slowly; therefore, it is difficult to pin-point when it began, but I began to notice that my face and arms began to look fat and swollen in pictures beginning about 1 year after insertion. I gained a total of 20 pounds with the Mirena IUD, and no amount of diet, exercise, and calorie restriction led to any weight loss. Whereas before the IUD, I had difficulty gaining weight, with the IUD, the pounds just packed on.

In April 2008, I weighed 122, which was already unacceptable for me. By that point, I had gained 9 pounds since insertion. Today, I weighed 133 before the appointment to have it removed. I look so fat and disgusting that I am embarrassed to be seen by friends and family.

May 21, 2010

I weigh 129 today, but I’m not sure I can attribute this to the removal since I have had a stomach virus (diarrhea and nausea but no vomiting) since the evening of May 18. My appetite is non-existent and I have only had a bowl of chicken soup, a boiled egg, and 3 slices of bacon since the onset of the symptoms on the 18th. Additionally, I have had no alcohol for the past 2.5 days, so I’m sure that is contributing to the weight loss, as well. I have noticed an increase in pain and stiffness of my knees. I have had only water and a slim fast shake today, and am not at all hungry. Looking back, I also realize I may be experiencing hair loss/thinning as a result of Mirena.

May 22, 2010

I weigh 128.5!

May 24, 2010

My weight continues to fluctuate between 128.5 and 132. I have noticed a decrease in my overall body swelling. My shoes didn’t hurt or feel tight today. I also see a slightly leaner and firmer abdomen, which is due, I am sure, to the Pilates and Wii Fitness workouts, but with the Mirena I saw little change with workouts. I’m actually seeing some results, but really wish I could see it reflected more on the scales.

May 28, 2010

My weight is now fluctuating between 129 and 131. My abs are flatter, and my body looks leaner. The body swelling is disappearing, especially in my face. My clothes, and even my shoes, are looser. I no longer feel heavy and bloated, and I have not experienced any joint pain in 5 days. I still have not started a period, but I experience mild cramps every once in awhile that lead me to believe I will start within the next few days. I feel so much better – healthier physically and even mentally. I have more energy, and the chronic fatigue is slowly fading away.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (2)