CureZone   Log On   Join
Very High Doses of Vitamin B-6

Views: 3,424
Published: 20 y

Very High Doses of Vitamin B-6

Very high B6 may solve carpal tunnel problems.

Dear Lisa,
Many studies have shown that people with carpal tunnel syndrome are indeed deficient in B6 and often do improve dramatically when given doses of 50 to 150 mg. of B6 a day. The B6 somehow improves the nerve impulses through the hand.

That being said, it is important to note that the relationship between the level of B6 in a mother's diet and breast milk is very strong. For a nursing mother, it is safe to consume B6 up to 300 percent of the recommended allowance. The recommended intake is 2.1 mg. a day. That means you can safely take up to 6.3 mg. a day, which is still significantly lower than the 50- to 150-mg. recommended daily level for carpal tunnel treatment.

I think this information probably puts you into a situation of having to do a cost-benefit analysis. Only you can know how debilitating the carpal tunnel is to you, so you will need to decide if it is best to discontinue nursing (eliminating a huge benefit for your baby) or to discontinue the vitamin supplements until your baby has weaned (ending a huge and perhaps absolutely necessary benefit to you).

There's a third option which eliminates the need for the supplements and allows you to continue nursing safely: outpatient surgery. Both my sister-in-law and mother-in-law had the surgery done to cure their carpal tunnel. I was amazed at how quick and easy it was, and how soon both got back to normal activities.

Regarding the multivitamin: Vitamin B12 is safe for adults to take, even at very high levels, but again, nursing moms should not exceed 300 percent of the recommended intake. The same is true for riboflavin. The vitamin C content of breast milk reflects the levels of the vitamin in the mother's diet. There is little evidence of harmful effects if very high levels are taken. Unfortunately, there is little or no research on how mom's dietary intake of magnesium affects the baby's food supply.

Considering the evidence, or lack thereof, it seems prudent to limit the intake of your supplemental nutrients to no more than 300 percent of the recommended levels for nursing moms. If you go beyond that, you may unwittingly harm your baby with what would be toxic amounts. In the best interest of your baby, I suggest you either seek alternative treatments or wait out the discomfort for the next few months until your baby is weaned.

Best of luck in making your decision.

Sincerely,

©†ƒ……•™¼‡_Original_Message_¾€š½ž¢«»¬ï°©

Very high B6 may solve carpal tunnel problems.

Dear Lisa,
Many studies have shown that people with carpal tunnel syndrome are indeed deficient in B6 and often do improve dramatically when given doses of 50 to 150 mg. of B6 a day. The B6 somehow improves the nerve impulses through the hand.

That being said, it is important to note that the relationship between the level of B6 in a mother's diet and breast milk is very strong. For a nursing mother, it is safe to consume B6 up to 300 percent of the recommended allowance. The recommended intake is 2.1 mg. a day. That means you can safely take up to 6.3 mg. a day, which is still significantly lower than the 50- to 150-mg. recommended daily level for carpal tunnel treatment.

I think this information probably puts you into a situation of having to do a cost-benefit analysis. Only you can know how debilitating the carpal tunnel is to you, so you will need to decide if it is best to discontinue nursing (eliminating a huge benefit for your baby) or to discontinue the vitamin supplements until your baby has weaned (ending a huge and perhaps absolutely necessary benefit to you).

There's a third option which eliminates the need for the supplements and allows you to continue nursing safely: outpatient surgery. Both my sister-in-law and mother-in-law had the surgery done to cure their carpal tunnel. I was amazed at how quick and easy it was, and how soon both got back to normal activities.

Regarding the multivitamin: Vitamin B12 is safe for adults to take, even at very high levels, but again, nursing moms should not exceed 300 percent of the recommended intake. The same is true for riboflavin. The vitamin C content of breast milk reflects the levels of the vitamin in the mother's diet. There is little evidence of harmful effects if very high levels are taken. Unfortunately, there is little or no research on how mom's dietary intake of magnesium affects the baby's food supply.

Considering the evidence, or lack thereof, it seems prudent to limit the intake of your supplemental nutrients to no more than 300 percent of the recommended levels for nursing moms. If you go beyond that, you may unwittingly harm your baby with what would be toxic amounts. In the best interest of your baby, I suggest you either seek alternative treatments or wait out the discomfort for the next few months until your baby is weaned.

Best of luck in making your decision.

Sincerely,

http://www.ivillage.com/food/experts/nutrition/qas/0,,165838_2589,0...

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.109 sec, (3)