CureZone   Log On   Join
Re: Where to get calcium hydroxide or pickling lime??

SECRET AGENT MAN Views: 15,596
Published: 16 years ago

This is a reply to # 1,286,382

Re: Where to get calcium hydroxide or pickling lime??

I found pickled lime water at an International foods market (the brand was MRS WAGES) , but I think it was more of an Israeli food market. After some searching on the internet, I discovered that it has many different names. According to one web site it is also called Cal, (Kahhl) and is used to make tortillas. . I CALLED SEVERAL MEXICAN food markets but none had it. I called several Indian grocery shops and they had it but not in a large container. For myself, I trust the Mrs. Wages brand. So be sure it says calcium hydroxide, and not something else, and I believe it should also say food grade. I have copied a pasted a few things below that I read elsewhere. The link below should also help. Of course you can order Mrs. Wages off of the internet, I just did not want top pay shipping. As far as any information below, I got it off the Internet so I cannot verify whether it is true or not, that is why I would make sure it says 100 percent calcium hydroxide food grade.

Slake Lime of course is a key ingredient in masa baked products. Most sizeable Mexican markets carry it... just ask for Cal (Kahhhl)

Go to any Indian/South Asian market & look in the section for paan ingredients (nearby there should also be dried betel nuts, fennel seed, sometimes some candy mixtures, rose preserves, & other bits & pieces that go into paan). The little plastic cylinders marked "lime," "chuna," "pankachuna" or "paan ka chuna" are what you want. Some markets keep the paan ingredients behind the counter or near the register, so ask if you don't see it (& be prepared for a slightly shocked expression -- "you chew paan?").

below is the link to more info on pickling lime and where to get it:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/324598

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.121 sec, (1)