CureZone   Log On   Join
Need help and asistance with someone who is sick

anonymous1000 Views: 1,728
Published: 16 y

Need help and asistance with someone who is sick

Hello, I've been really blessed in my life and have never dealt with anyone inflicted with a mental disease in my family. I am now close friends and in a relatively romantic relationship with someone inflicted with schizophrenia. The person is wonderful but ill. The relationship is ending shortly due to extenuating circumstances that are beyond our control, but we have promised a long-distance friendship. I fully intend to mantain this friendship although it will be over a long distance, interspersed with occasional visits and frequent phone correspondence.

The problem is this. She has become dependent on me. Though I do enjoy knowing the person, beyond quite a number of other people in my life, I can hardly be someone who is 100% there. I can't make this person my life and want her to develop a more thorough asortment of friends and full life. Not to avoid my role in her life, but to make her as happy as an be. Unfortunately, people have been cruel to her and I don't know how to help her move past that and get to know quality people in the future. I have been honest and kind to her at all avenues. She is special and important to me but I don't know how to allow her to move on with her life beyond me, without cutting her off completely, which would devestate her and leave me unhappy as well.

Her family is somewhat spotty, to my knowledge and I can not enter into a situation where I am supporting her.

Does anyone have any advice on decreasing the dependency of someone on you when you are unable to assist someone without it leading to their misery and possibly causing a breakdown. I am very new to this experience and am not familiar with what to do and how to approach this. Plus I feel incredibly awful about even posting this message.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.078 sec, (1)