CureZone   Log On   Join
Hole in sinus after tooth extraction! Need some good advice please.

Rick67 Views: 275,884
Published: 18 y

Hole in sinus after tooth extraction! Need some good advice please.

It looks like my tooth was real close to my sinus cavity. I've now got a hole going from my empty socket to my sinus. (This all started as just a simple crown). This appears to be one of the complications with removing upper molars. I found this on the web:

"A hole in the sinus during removal of an upper molar. A small hole will usually close up by itself in a few weeks but may require additional surgery if it doesn’t heal spontaneously."

My dentist said this will usually heal up on it's own. I'm not exactly sure why, but he put me on 500MGs of Penicillin for seven days. Plus, he told me to take Sudafed for my sinuses.

I don't want to take the Penicillin but I'm worried about some kind of infection due to the hole going to my sinus.

When my dentist sent me home he wasn't sure if I had a hole in my sinus. When I got home I removed the gauze (after about two hours) and tried to swallow some saliva. This created some kind of suction. I could hear/feel a whistling sound coming from the empty socket. I immediately called my dentist and told him I was positive there was a hole in my sinus. He told me he was going to have me see an oral surgeon ASAP. They couldn't find one that was available today so they're going to set something up for tomorrow.

So anyway, this hole is really freaking me out. I'm afraid it's not going to close up if I keep sucking air through it. (I'm doing everything I can not to) I'm also concerned this is going to mess with the healing process of the socket. I'm also unsure what to do about the antibiotic.

So has anyone every had this happen to them or heard of it happening? How worried should I be and do I really need to take the antibiotic? I don't know if the hole could cause some kind of infection. I just don't know what to do at this point.

Any info would be appreciated.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.109 sec, (1)