CureZone   Log On   Join
SuperFood, 'Nutritional Yeast' & MSG...help Bob!? Anybody?!

Views: 14,993
Published: 18 years ago

SuperFood, 'Nutritional Yeast' & MSG...help Bob!? Anybody?!

I need some help.

I can't begin to tell you the hundreds of people over the years to whom I have recommended Dr. Schulze s SuperFood as the basis of their nutritional healing and healthy life protocols.

I've just been putting together a protocol for a lady with extreme vascular migraines, fibromyalgia and a variety of other ailments -- and an EXTREME sensitivity to Mono-Sodium-Glutamat (Natrium Glutamat) and other 'exictotoxins'.

When search for some other information, I stumbled across the article (below), and it makes a LOT of sense to me. Please understand, I am not making accusations or drawing negative conclusions here - but from what I'm reading, I fear it would be extremely harmful to recommend a product with this type of 'nutritional yeast' to someone with an extreme Mono-Sodium-Glutamat (Natrium Glutamat) sensitivity -- and I question whether or not I should could continue putting it into my own body, too.

I have been a hard core "Dr Schulzer" for decades, and no matter WHAT I find out I will continue to respect and honor him as a very successful healer and teacher (as I realize Superfood was created long before any type of information like this was availdable -or at least it seems that way to me). And I'm not doubting the other ingredients and/or their obvious benefits to health. The author of the article below sells a competing product, so (naturally) I would like more information before I come to a conclusion.

Could anybody/everybody PLEASE offer their opinions and research to help me find the truth in this situation.

Thank you in advance for your help & time.

http://www.daystarbotanicals.com/nutritionalyeast.html
(taken from the link above)
Nutritional Yeast—Super Food or Neurotoxin?

I was first introduced to Dr. Richard Schulze ’s “super nutrition” formula, SuperFood about five years ago. It was heralded as the ultimate nutritional supplement, and based upon a quick glance of the listed ingredients, I was quick to agree. Needless to say, I became a daily user of SuperFood. My allegiance to SuperFood was further instilled upon completion of Dr. Schulze ’s Advanced Course in Natural Healing offered by his School of Natural Healing.

Dr. Schulze has helped untold thousands of people turn their health around. He is one of the most dynamic and courageous natural medicine practitioners and teachers alive today. Additionally, Dr. Schulze has gone to great lengths to make extremely potent herbal tinctures and bowel cleansing products--that is why his products are highly imitated. As for Dr. Schulze's SuperFood, there is no denying that he utilizes the highest quality organic and wildcrafted plant ingredients available. (We use his same supplier.) The cost of these ingredients is much higher than if they were obtained from other suppliers--we know! But we were soon to discover a little-known truth about SuperFood (and it's many copy-cat products) that would open our eyes.

In June of 1999 and again in 2000 I had the privilege of meeting one of the true heroes of our recent time—Dr. Russell Blaylock. Dr. Blaylock is a neuro-surgeon of great respect and a thorough researcher and author. Dr. Blaylock has explored in great depth the relationship of certain types of brain lesions and their cause, and has discovered a clear link to various food additives , which form or contain "free" glutamic acid. These additives, which are used as "flavor enhancers" or "sugar substitutes", include a host of aliases used by the food industry to disguise their true identity—MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) or Aspartame. Some of these aliases include "autolyzed yeast", "yeast extract" and "yeast food". Dr. Blaylock published his findings in 1997 in his best-selling book, Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills.

It was after talking with Dr. Blaylock in June 2000, that I realized that Dr. Schulze’s SuperFood contained a generous portion of "NON-Active Saccharomyces cerevisiae Nutritional Yeast". This yeast, Dr. Schulze informs us in his patient handbook , "is grown on beets and pure molasses." (See: //www.curezone.org/schulze/handbook/superfood.asp).

Recently I was reading an informative little article by Rhonda Parkinson, entitled Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)—Pros and Cons, where she shares with us, that "the Mono-Sodium-Glutamat (Natrium Glutamat) we find on store shelves is usually made from fermented Sugar beet or Sugar cane molasses, in a process quite similar to the way soy sauce is made."

The few brain cells that I have left all began to activate. What is the correlation between MSG (made from fermented Sugar beet or sugar cane molasses), which is sometimes (not so successfully) disguised under the alias of "yeast food", "yeast extract", or "autolyzed yeast", and the "nutritional yeast" which Dr. Schulze admits is "grown on beets and pure molasses"?

The trail that I would follow in hopes of discovering the truth about “nutritional yeast” would be like the unraveling plot of an intriguing political novel, with greed, a mix of strange bed-fellows, and a mysterious French connection.

Now, the first stop on the trail would be to Red Star Yeast, the company that manufactures the “nutritional yeast” for Dr. Schulze’s SuperFood, (and other "copy cat" products). The Red Star "nutritional yeast" product that Dr. Schulze utilizes is called "Vegetarian Support Formula". It was confirmed by Red Star Yeast, that "the preferred source of carbohydrate for yeast is sugar from molasses. Molasses is the by-product of the refining of sugar beets and sugar cane." (See: http://www.redstaryeast.com/nutritionalyeast/html/manufacturer/process.html). Until recently, the parent company of Red Star Yeast was a lesser known conglomerate, Sensient Technologies Corporation. Sensient Technologies is divided into several groups—the “Sensient Color Group” which "is the world's leading supplier of synthetic food colors , as well as a leading producer of natural, cosmetic and specialty-ink colors." A second group of Sensient is the “Sensient Flavors & Fragrances Group”. "Sensient is a leading manufacturer of flavors, flavor systems, flavor enhancers and dehydrated vegetables for the food, beverage and dairy industries. Selling under: Sensient Flavors; Sensient Fragrances; Sensient Dehydrated Flavors Company." (See: http://www.sensient-tech.com/sensient_businesses.html).

So the parent company of Red Star Yeast, Sensient Technologies, "is a leading manufacturer of flavors, flavor systems, and flavor enhancers…"

Let’s add up a few things so far. 1) MSG, a well-known flavor enhancer, is manufactured by utilizing sugar beet or cane molasses. 2) Red Star Nutritional Yeast is manufactured by utilizing sugar beet or cane molasses. 3) The parent company of Red Star Yeast, Sensient Technologies, is a world leader in the manufacture of "flavor enhancers". Let’s see where this takes us…

Strangely enough, Sensient Technologies recently "divested" Red Star Yeast, Inc., by selling it to LeSaffre, a French yeast manufacturing conglomerate, however, Sensient remained the parent to MinnDak Yeast Company, which is co-owned by Sensient and Minn-Dak Farmers Cooperative, based in Wahpeton, SD, is a sugar beet growers cooperative that processes beets into sugar and molasses.

LeSaffre is the worlds largest manufacturer of yeast and yeast extracts, used as nutritional supplements, flavor enhancers, dough conditioners, and fermentation catalysts. The new French parent to Red Star Yeast is also in the flavor enhancing business. (See: http://www.lesaffre.com/default_eng.asp). Is Red Star Yeast to be found guilty by their associations?

Let’s look at Red Star Nutritional Yeast one more time. On a list of “benefits” for using Vegetarian Support Formula (Nutritional Yeast), Red Star lists the following: “High quality protein, Excellent source of B-vitamin complex, Natural food supplement, Enhances flavor of foods, contributes texture and mouth-feel.” (See: http://www.redstaryeast.com/nutritionalyeast/html/manufacturer/vitamin.html). So, Red Star Nutrtional Yeast doubles as a "flavor enhancer". Is it because it is a close cousin to MSG and is manufactured much in the same manner, utilizing the same sugar beet and cane molasses? Is it a coincidence that the companies that produce "nutritional yeast" are also leaders in the "flavor enhancer" business?

You are free to draw your own conclusions.

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend
Alert Moderators
Report Spam or bad message  Alert Moderators on This GOOD Message

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  curezone.org

0.102 sec, (5)