CureZone   Log On   Join
Cost Effective Juicing: Ideas and experience!

thebirdlady Views: 4,839
Published: 19 y

Cost Effective Juicing: Ideas and experience!

Lauren's post about cost led me to start this thread.
I hope each of you will add your ideas and how you plan and finance your juicing.

I am just now trying to be cost effective about my juicing.
I bought a case of Granny Smith's, 2 25lb juicer carrots (love them cause they are thin so don't have to cut them up! ) and a case of beets w/the leaves.

Ofcourse they are all organic.

Cost savings idea:
1. Buying by the case from my local organic farm is saving me allot of money because he orders the products for me, and charges me wholesale plus whatever he tacks on for his profit.
Apples, carrots and beets are the main items I juice daily.
Actual cost was:
41 lbs organic Granny Smiths = $35.00 so .81/lb
50 lbs organic juicer carrots = 24.00 so .48/lb
case org. beets w/leaves = 22.50 (I forgot to weigh them so no idea what lb is but these are local beets off their farm)

The apples will last me about 6 weeks and the carrots are probably about 2 weeks worth..so I consider this pretty cheap!

Idea: if you don't have any local farms, contact the produce manager at your local grocery store and see if you can "cut a deal" similar to mine.

2. I'm in process of finding one other juicer to split cases with me so I have room in my refrigerator for anything else! And to increase the freshness of the produce.

I've posted on the county bulletin board and contacted the local Gersen coach. I've had a couple nibbles but nothing firm yet.
In the meantime, it's cold so I have the cases stored in a room with no heat and the window wide open. Tested and it's about 40-50 degrees in there!

3. Dark leafy greens: kale, parsley, cilantro, chard etc. I juice a large handful daily. These are my most expensive items...I hit 2 organic grocery stores plus my organic farm and buy the cheapest leafy green (s) of the week.

4. Organic fruit: buy these at Trader Joe's. Right now they have Bosc pears, Braeburns and bananas. I also eat a whole apple almost every day.

5. Soup: I use the vegetable pulp from juicing and make AWESOME quick Indian curry soups. Saute 1/2 onion, add curry and jalapeno, toss in the pulp (carrot, celery) heat with some homemade stock ( I simmer bones for days) but you can make stock out of all the pulp! and throw in my blender, grate and serve!

This is also wonderful with juiced broccoli.

Very often my meals are: 3 10-14 oz juices and a big bowl of pulp soup. Eat some fruit at night. Start day juicing a lemon/lime; then later my superfood in the apple juice w/Blueberrys etc.

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that this is costing me less than the way I used to eat. Especially because I don't buy prepared foods eating like this. But it's relative for each us based on how we ate prior to this.

Finally: a BIG cost savings for me is I'm not taking any supplements except SuperFood and Formula 1. That alone is saving me $100+ a month easy...maybe more.

I feel so good! This is such a wonderful discovery.

I remain so grateful to know what good feels like!
I would love to learn more tips from the rest of you.
Cheers
Suzanne

Printer-friendly version of this page Email this message to a friend

This Forum message belongs to a larger discussion thread. See the complete thread below. You can reply to this message!

Donate to CureZone

CureZone Newsletter is distributed in partnership with https://www.netatlantic.com

Contact Us - Advertise - Stats

Copyright 1999 - 2024  www.curezone.org

0.094 sec, (2)